Coopers Community

Pirate Life Clone - All Grain

I tend to treat it like a combination of a bittering addition and a 20 minute or so addition if that makes sense. The beers usually come out with a smooth but firm bitterness. I've yet to try a beer with nothing but a FWH addition though, but it's on the list to see how it presents without late hops being present.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So this is my revised hope schedule for this beer.

The new IBUs have been bumped a little to 62.

I now have a FWH addition and 10 minute addition instead of 30 minutes and 5 minutes.

20gms - Riwaka FWH

12gms - Centennial FWH

8gms - Simcoe FWH

15gms - Riwaka @ 10

10gms - Centennial @ 10

5gms - Simcoe @ 10

45gms - Riwaka, when chilled to 80 degrees and leave for 20 minutes

35gms - Centennial, when chilled to 80 degrees and leave for 20 minutes

25gms - Simcoe, when chilled to 80 degrees and leave for 20 minutes 

BIG dry hops over 100 grams each spread over fermentation. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

I will pour a glass of each and do a blind tasting to see if they are similar and to which which I like better. 

BB

I did this with my latest punk IPA. As I suspected my brew was much more like an IPA than the can brewdog version. Mine was was well and truely more hop forward flavour and fresh.

I’m thinking that’s what you’ll get with your version. 

My Pirate Life IPA clone. It tastes nothing like the original so there’s no point doing a side by side. It’s quite bitter and the bitterness is almost a burn right in the back of my throat. It looks like a NEIPA and there’s actually a down light right behind the beer. It’s still nice and the bitterness will mellow in another week. 

A27A01A1-C4E8-450B-9BD3-78D68DDBE4DE.jpeg

Give it some time to mature mate. "Green" IPA's are nothing like their matured versions.

My advice would be to put it away for at least 4-6 weeks before trying again & get on with another brew.

Begin to assess what you have created after this time frame.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Archived