Coopers Community

Pirate Life Clone - All Grain

Yeah I would boost that ibu by around 20, particularly if only doing a 30 min boil. I am sipping my kits and bits Centennial DIPL (a mere 225g hops in 11l which pales in comparison to your hop bill) in which I targeted 101 IBU pre fermentation and around a 1.070 OG. A decent abv and all those hops gives an impression of sweetness that you need to balance with bitterness, and I don't think my beer could take more than a small drop in bitterness without coming across as too sweet. So with this at a 1.064 og, I worry that it may come across too sweet. I just don't thing a BU:GU ratio of less than one works for an IPA. I tend to aim for at least 5:4, so 80 ibu for a 1.064 og. 

Could be how it's meant to be though. I've had the PL IPA a couple of times and don't remember it being a particularly bitter beer. If you drink it fresh with all those hops it's going to taste yum one way or another! 

Cheers, 

John

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

...I am sipping my kits and bits Centennial DIPL (a mere 225g hops in 11l which pales in comparison to your hop bill) in which I targeted 101 IBU pre fermentation and around a 1.070 OG. A decent abv and all those hops gives an impression of sweetness that you need to balance with bitterness, and I don't think my beer could take more than a small drop in bitterness without coming across as too sweet. So with this at a 1.064 og, I worry that it may come across too sweet. I just don't thing a BU:GU ratio of less than one works for an IPA. I tend to aim for at least 5:4, so 80 ibu for a 1.064 og.

Hop utilisation also plays its part in how the bitterness presents. As your OG rises, hop utilisation lowers. What that means is a smoother bitterness is produced at higher original gravities in the boil despite the BU:GU ratio.

If you look at the OG of a light beer where hop utilisation is higher in the boil, generally a lower BU (bittering unit) count against the GU (gravity unit) count in the BU:GU ratio will present much more noticeably. I feel there is a distinct shift in what is a suitable BU:GU ratio through the specific gravity ranges.

Also, a super smooth low co-humulone hop used for bittering in a higher gravity brew is also likely to lack any real bitterness 'bite', so I'd be mindful of that as well when selecting a hop for this purpose.

Cheers,

Lusty.

As for what Lusty has posted I too believe that to be true with regards to BU:GU ratio being influenced through differing gravity units. My latest Brut IPA is testament to that, dry as hell and quite bitter at a whopping low 20’s IBU.

Also from the literature that I have read perceived bitterness past about 80 IBU’s is not noticeable to the human palate. 

I haven’t tried but I would think that there would be a saturation point at some stage.

Captain

I might take some advice from both @Beerlust and @Hairy

I might make a 60 minute addition but maybe get around 50%-60% of my total IBUs from it. I like a bit of hop bite. 

Looking at my hop schedule it looks to be a bit NEIPA-ish anyway. 

I will post my new hop schedule when I get around to it. 

Thanks for your help. I appreciate your feedback!! 

BB

8 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

...I haven’t tried but I would think that there would be a saturation point at some stage.

There is. It's known as "Garetz Theory". In a home brewing environment the theory definitely has merit & is worth understanding as a whole.

Cheers,

Lusty.

7 hours ago, Hairy said:

FG also plays a significant part in how bitterness is presented in a beer.

I don't believe this entirely. It depends on what makes up that FG. Dextrin malts, rice, corn (maize) & in some cases oats can be used to add body, but I wouldn't be adjusting the bitterness levels in my recipes in any great way with the increases in FG these particular fermentables can leave.

If there is an added malt based sweetness resulting from malts used to create an increased FG, then YES I look to up my bitterness to compensate, & re-balance the beer.

Cheers,

Lusty.

4 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

I like a decent FWH hit and then a load late in hoppy beers, IPAs and the like, one of my more recnet good ones had only 30% of the calculated IBUs from early additions but most are around 40 to 50%

You live in FNQ, so your tolerance levels to true bitterness given the increased humidity & generally warmer climate influence your view of this & what is more enjoyable to drink in this category in particular. I know when I'm in a hot & humid environment, I don't want high bitterness &/or heavily malt sweet beers.

Climate influences perception & views on a great many things on our wonderfully diverse planet. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

1 minute ago, Ben 10 said:

...My Big Red Rye has 60+ IBU from a long boil addition only... you have had that haven't you @Beerlust?

NO I HAVEN'T, YOU ARSE!! ?

Your "Big Red Rye" is definitely a beer I'd love to taste.

In case you forgot, that absolutely awesome hibiscus flower (that I can't remember right now) Saison you made from flowers on your own property is one of the most awesome beers I've drank in the last decade for the style it sits in.

Given the response you got from your local brew club on this one & my views on it, I'm really disappointed you haven't followed up on this beer. It has the potential to be the most awesome & accepted beer in a drinkers market that hasn't even been understood/developed/marketed yet.

I thought it was THAT good.

Cheers,

Lusty.

I’ve brewed Benny’s big red rye and it was a task, however it was amazing. 

I’ve givin it to mates who have had to subsequently stay the night and some who have drunk half way through and gone “ok well least it’s only walking distance.”

I have dialled down the recipe and made a red that is bloody fantastic at a reasonable 5% and I’ve never had a bad comment.

Theres something to be said about that hop combo.

Captain 

Not sure I subscribe to needing a 60 minute bittering addition for a good, lingering bitterness. I've certainly done that with "late" additions only. I put that in quotes though as I no chill, so late additions added to the whirlpool take on a different dynamic. 

It's probably a bit of individual perception coupled with the variety of hops used. I did an IPA with Centennial and Mosaic which I'm pretty sure aren't really known for presenting harsh bitterness; only did about 35% of the IBUs from an early boil addition and the resultant beer was too sweet, and didn't have that firm bitterness that it should have had. If I'd gone more 50-60% of the IBUs from that early addition it would have been better. Loading up a no-chill beer with something like Galaxy late may well present differently though.

That's probably quite true as well. I've found juggling large late amounts of galaxy is a pretty fickle thing when trying to stay at the light end of the ibu scale for summer ales. I found 100g in the cube when dumped at 80C presents ok, but the same at 90C gives a lot more than intended. Not harsh but certainly much more bite than intended for the style. 

10 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

which one did you brew?

I was saying that there is something to be said about that hop combo in your Big Red Rye. That word being sensational! 

Amarillo, Centennial and Nelson. 

Ive brewed your Big Red once and twice again with adjusting the overall ABV. It’s a robust recipe which handled those slight changes well. Absolute sensational beer.

Captain

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:18 PM, Ben 10 said:

I like a decent FWH hit and then a load late in hoppy beers, IPAs and the like, one of my more recnet good ones had only 30% of the calculated IBUs from early additions but most are around 40 to 50%

Ben, do you calculate your FWH as a 60 minute addition, 20 minute addition or some other way?

Yeah I saw that but I have also seen a lot of reference to FWH tasting like a 20 minute addition.

Bitterness is about how it is perceived rather than the actual IBU number, so if it tastes like a 20 minute addition, even if the actual IBU is the same as a 60 minute addition, shouldn't you treat it like a 20 minute addition?

Archived