Coopers Community

Pirate Life Clone - All Grain

Hi everyone. 

I am a big fan of the Pirate Life IPA and I have always wanted to clone it but there isn’t too much help on the internet so I thought I would give it a go. 

I am planning to have this ready for my annual leave in November. I have jam packed this recipe with hops because it’s an IPA and I love hops and hops are awesome!!!!

Batch - 24L

OG - 1.064

FG - 1.011

ABV - 6.8%

IBU - 57

EBC - 15.9

Mash at 67 degrees for 60 minutes 

Mash out at 75 degrees for 10 minutes

5.60kgs - Pale Malt (80%)

1.05kgs - Light Munich (15%)

0.35kgs - Caramunich 1 (5%)

20gms - Riwaka @ 30

10gms - Centennial @ 30

5gms - Simcoe @ 30

45gms - Riwaka @ 5

35gms - Centennial @ 5

25gms - Simcoe @ 5

45gms - Riwaka, when chilled to 80 degrees and leave for 20 minutes

35gms - Centennial, when chilled to 80 degrees and leave for 20 minutes

25gms - Simcoe, when chilled to 80 degrees and leave for 20 minutes 

BIG dry hops over 100 grams each spread over fermentation. 

2 packets of US-05

Fermented at 18 degrees for 8 days

Raise slowly to 21 degrees for 3 days

Cold crash to 0 degrees for 3 days

Keg and set to serving pressure for about 7 days and then drink my best beer EVER while sitting in the sun on holidays!!!

I’m really keen to hear opinions on ANY of the above. 

Thanks, Beer Baron 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Looks very very nice BB.

Have you tried keg hopping rather than dry hopping before? It works well with the set to serve pressure and leave it method as it takes about 7 days for the hop presence to shine

I have thought about that. I have looked at getting one of those keg cylinders thingys. I might make this recipe and then if it’s good I can do it again but try the keg hop to compare. 

Thanks Greeny!!

Yeah let me know your thoughts if you try it. I actually think it increases the hop presence per gram compared to the traditional dry hop before kegging. Downside being you have to wait 7 days for it to really come through and about 14 days to peak. A lot of people think it will get grassy if left a long time but I had a keg hop sit for 2 months while I was away from home and got none of that.

10 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Yes you will. That amount of hops would cost me $54.5 at my LHBS. 

?

Riwaka is hard to get so I had to get that online and have it shipped. 

The rest I get from another online place so that is $25 just in shipping!! 

My LHBS isn’t very good so I always have to pay some type of shipping. 

This batch will cost me over $100 so hopefully it is good. 

7 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

Riwaka is hard to get so I had to get that online and have it shipped. 

The rest I get from another online place so that is $25 just in shipping!! 

My LHBS isn’t very good so I always have to pay some type of shipping. 

This batch will cost me over $100 so hopefully it is good. 

Wow!!! Don’t F it up!

ha ha ha 

Just now, Beer Baron said:

It will cost me $126 for this batch. Holy s$&t. 

I hope it is awesome because I have spent so much but I kinda hope it isn’t because at $126 a batch I may need to sell 1 of my kids!!

After today trying to teach my son how to ride a bike, I’ll sell him and give you the money

1 hour ago, Beer Baron said:

It will cost me $126 for this batch. Holy s$&t. 

I hope it is awesome because I have spent so much but I kinda hope it isn’t because at $126 a batch I may need to sell 1 of my kids!!

Pirate life IPA cans come in at $94 for a carton of 24 x 355ml cans according to dan murphies
https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_555390/pirate-life-brewing-ipa-cans-355ml

so thats $94 for 8.5 liters

how many liters is your batch? 22 once bottled.
half price??
I hope you feel better now ?

26 minutes ago, Smitdog88 said:

Pirate life IPA cans come in at $94 for a carton of 24 x 355ml cans according to dan murphies
https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_555390/pirate-life-brewing-ipa-cans-355ml

half price??

I like your logic on this. However, to outlay over $100 for one batch is still a kick in the nuts, especially when a lot of us have ventured into home brewing to make good beer n save a dollar as well

26 minutes ago, Smitdog88 said:

half price??

I know the cans taste good. As for mine, we will have to wait until the start of November 

Good Luck BB

Trying to clone a beer is good fun and can produce surprising results as well. I like that Pirate Life give you clues on the can, I've tried cloning three of their offerings with great success.

The pleasant surprise came when I nailed the PL Pale, it was 90% their which is pretty good for a home brewer. I pushing for the extra 5% increased the Mosaic and ended up with a totally different beer. A fruity concoction that turned out to be my best beer ever.

My recollection of the IPA, which I haven't tried to clone, is the way the hop aroma hit me in the face when i opened the can.  With 300g of Dry Hop it sounds like your on the right track and I hope you get the same effect.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Hi Beer Baron.

FWIW, IPA's need some bitterness bite that mostly comes from long boiling hops (60mins+). It's what separates them from Pale Ales to me. Short boiling hops minimizes this trait. Your 3 hops @ 30mins total approx. 24 IBU with the remaining 33 IBU of your total 57 IBU coming from 5 min additions & below.

For IPA's, & as a general rule, I personally like to create 2/3 to 3/4 of my IBU count from long boiled (60mins+) hop additions.

Merely an observation on my part, but it looks more like the hop bill for a big Pale Ale to me as I'm struggling to see where the bitterness 'bite' is going to come from.

Best of luck with the brew, it'll certainly be tasty!

Just my 2 cents.

Lusty.

I don't factor the shipping cost into the cost of my brews because it's too often spread across who knows how many batches. It's mainly hops I get shipped though, everything else I either go to the store or pick up from bulk buys.

Also, I agree with Lusty on the bitterness. I made a Centennial and Mosaic IPA a few years ago that lacked some firm bitterness due to not adding enough long boiled hops.

16 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Hi Beer Baron.

FWIW, IPA's need some bitterness bite that mostly comes from long boiling hops (60mins+). It's what separates them from Pale Ales to me. Short boiling hops minimizes this trait. Your 3 hops @ 30mins total approx. 24 IBU with the remaining 33 IBU of your total 57 IBU coming from 5 min additions & below.

For IPA's, & as a general rule, I personally like to create 2/3 to 3/4 of my IBU count from long boiled (60mins+) hop additions.

Merely an observation on my part, but it looks more like the hop bill for a big Pale Ale to me as I'm struggling to see where the bitterness 'bite' is going to come from.

Best of luck with the brew, it'll certainly be tasty!

Just my 2 cents.

Lusty.

I’ll have a look and change it up. Thanks Lusty

Beer Baron, what you are doing with your beer is using a technique called Hop Bursting. It is where pretty much all the bitterness is coming from late hop additions (say 20 minutes or less) with only a small amount from a longer addition. A lot of people do this and, although you may not get the hop bite Lusty refers to, it creates a different type of beer that may appeal to you.

I don't make a huge amount of IPAs but I tend to go down a traditional route with a 60 minute addition. I differ from Lusty in that I tend to aim for 30-40% IBUs from the 60 minute addition to give me more room for the late hopping in my US IPAs.

It all comes down to personal taste so it is good to make a few using different techniques to get a feel for it.

On 9/3/2018 at 9:18 AM, Hairy said:

...I don't make a huge amount of IPAs but I tend to go down a traditional route with a 60 minute addition. I differ from Lusty in that I tend to aim for 30-40% IBUs from the 60 minute addition to give me more room for the late hopping in my US IPAs.

It all comes down to personal taste so it is good to make a few using different techniques to get a feel for it.

+1 to what Hairy said. Personal tastes are different across the board.

My comment about creating some bitterness 'bite' comes off the back of reading countless posts on this forum (& others) by fellow home brewers that have put too much faith in late boil hops to create a noticeable bitterness for their IPA, & ended up falling well short leaving them disappointed with the end beer.

Whatever percentage you decide on, using at least something @ 60mins+ for an IPA is definitely a good idea. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived