Coopers Community

Furphy hop bill

Worthog

Can some of you boffins out there tell me what you think the hop bill for a Furphy's batch might look like? I don't mind the ale on tap.

If you can advise bittering, boil/late/dry, for a 23L batch, partial or AG, that would be great. 

Cheers

The beer is listed @ 22 IBU using Vic Secret & Topaz. They are both high alpha/ high co-humulone hops so my guess is the hop additions are added late in the boil.

Topaz @ approx. 15-20mins left in the boil, & maybe some Vic Secret with 5mins left in the boil to hit your 22 IBU mark at weights that suit you. You could also flameout hop or dry hop with both, but the commercial beer isn't highly aromatic.

The hazy look of the beer is likely due to the use of a kolsch yeast. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

The beer is listed @ 22 IBU using Vic Secret & Topaz. They are both high alpha/ high co-humulone hops so my guess is the hop additions are added late in the boil.

Topaz @ approx. 15-20mins left in the boil, & maybe some Vic Secret with 5mins left in the boil to hit your 22 IBU mark at weights that suit you. You could also flameout hop or dry hop with both, but the commercial beer isn't highly aromatic.

The hazy look of the beer is likely due to the use of a kolsch yeast. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Thanks Lusty. Do your assumptions include bittering? Or should I maybe start with a Coopers APA kit with its PoR bittering and go from there.

I understand Furphy's is not the go-to swill for Kelsey et al, but I just like the flavor which is different to all my 60 odd batches, and I think I might throw something together, while not exactly the same as Furphy because my grains may differ, but get close to the over-riding flavours for a change.

I could get some haziness from Windsor yeast??

I actually tried it hoping for something like the Coopers Session Ale. I won't write it off my list completely yet - I'll try to find some fresh bottles or something and see if it's different to what I experienced at the pub. Like I said, it may have been an old keg and not exactly a great example of the beer.

You will still get bitterness from hops added late in the boil, it's just not the same sort of bitterness you get from a long boiled addition. Lusty's suggestion would work pretty well I would imagine as it's not a highly bittered beer.

6 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

...You will still get bitterness from hops added late in the boil, it's just not the same sort of bitterness you get from a long boiled addition. Lusty's suggestion would work pretty well I would imagine as it's not a highly bittered beer.

I  think I know what you mean. I did that with the 30m EKG boil in my recent extract based Irish Red Ale.

Cheers

Yeah, it tends to be a more "softer" bitterness if that makes sense, which would probably suit that style of beer more than the firm bitterness you get from 60+ minute boils.

I did an IPA a few years ago that had too much of the IBU count from late boil additions and not enough from long boiled additions. It tasted fruity and all but just too sweet even at 65 IBUs or whatever it was; it was lacking that firm bitterness. Next time I'd leave the late hops as they are but increase the early additions to total around 75. Maybe it was like a NEIPA before they were the trend, it was pretty cloudy as well ?.

20 hours ago, Worthog said:

Thanks Lusty. Do your assumptions include bittering? Or should I maybe start with a Coopers APA kit with its PoR bittering and go from there.

Yes as Kelsey stated the short boil additions create your bitterness as well. My Galaxy Kolsch recipe is bittered exactly the same way. If you use the APA kit, you won't be leaving enough room for what these additions do in the commercial version.

20 hours ago, Worthog said:

I could get some haziness from Windsor yeast??

Before I responded to your post yesterday, I did some checking around the WWW to see if anyone had tried to clone the beer. A guy over on the AHB forum has had a crack. Among the things he discussed & disclosed, he had taken a de-gassed hydro sample of the commercial beer. It is surprisingly low as he claimed it was 1.005. This helps explain how the beer comes across quite crisp despite the malty character.

If you wish to emulate that with your attempt, Windsor is not a high attenuating yeast, & will leave more body in the final beer. If it were me & having to use a dried yeast, I'd be looking to use Nottingham (or US-05) & some dextrose in the mix to get the final beer gravity down to keep the beer fairly crisp. If you get your crystal malt balance right, you won't notice the lower FG. If you're going the extract route, don't be shy about using some good weights of dry extract, as it ferments out better than liquid malt extract (IMHO).

Best of luck with it. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Here is my first cut at a recipe for my Furphys. I am a bit limited in my grains by what I get from my LHBS. The recipe, I roughed out using some basic inputs into "Brewers Friend" calculator. The process is developed using above forum advice. Please feel free to critique it further, and limit your advice in terms of "WTF does he want to do a Furphys for"?

I am going partial mash, biab. Mash start 18L, end boil 11L - batch is to 23L (SG dependant going up);

• 1kg LDM
  • 200g Dextrose
  • Grains
    • 2.5kg Maris Otter
    • 300g Light Crystal (40)
    • 200g Carapils
      • 63c/90mins
  • 25g Topaz@15m
  • 20g Vic Secret@7m
  • 300ml Nottingham yeast slurry

Predicted OG 1.046, FG1.011, ABV 4.5%, IBU 22, EBC 11

Let me know what problems you see and suggestions you have. Cheers

I actually bought a 6 pack of stubbies on Thursday. Date on the bottles was end of Feb. I didn't get any hop aroma from 5 of the 6 bottles with 1 having slight amount of something there. No huge hop taste either, I was a bit underwhelmed by it to be honest but in saying that I didn't hate it, still better than the xxxx gold now ?. I poured 2 into a glass to get a look at the colour and was surprised as it was a darker golden colour than i was expecting. I think an AG version and drinking it fresh would be quite good for just a simple easy drinking beer so keen to see how this turns out.

Hi Worthog.

19 hours ago, Worthog said:

I am going partial mash, biab. Mash start 18L, end boil 11L - batch is to 23L (SG dependant going up);

• 1kg LDM
  • 200g Dextrose
  • Grains
    • 2.5kg Maris Otter
    • 300g Light Crystal (40)
    • 200g Carapils
      • 63c/90mins
  • 25g Topaz@15m
  • 20g Vic Secret@7m
  • 300ml Nottingham yeast slurry

Predicted OG 1.046, FG1.011, ABV 4.5%, IBU 22, EBC 11

Let me know what problems you see and suggestions you have. Cheers

As a stand alone recipe there is nothing wrong with it at all. I would however check your figures & alpha levels for your hop additions though as I'm not entirely sure of the 22 IBU accuracy you have quoted for those weights @ those boil points. The current alpha levels I have for those hops are Topaz 15.1%AA, & Vic Secret 19.4%AA. Given you have a higher FG in your version allows for a little more bitterness but I wouldn't let it get too far away. ?

For the commercial version to finish around 1.005 it has likely had to start around 1.036 - 1.038 depending on how it is carbonated. The commercial malt bill would use less cara/crystal malts to keep the wort more fermentable too. Likely some Munich & darker type CaraMunich/Crystal malt to throw the hue.

Best of luck with it, & let us know how this turns out once it's on the pour.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• 3 months later...
On 9/1/2018 at 6:07 PM, Worthog said:

Here is my first cut at a recipe for my Furphys....

Warthog, Did you ever make this ?  How did it go ?

I don't mind Furphy.  I have only been there twice, draught and cans.  The draught made a favourable impression against admittedly low expectations when it was first released and the cans I consumed yesterday with indecent haste after a sweaty afternoon's gardening when just about anything cold and wet gets a good review.   I am going to need a third session to make up mind - but that is a good sign.

27 minutes ago, James of Bayswater said:

Warthog, Did you ever make this ?  How did it go ?

Well James, no I have not made it yet and it keeps getting pushed down my list. I've been making 'summer' mid strength, light colored beers mostly using Simcoe, Cascade an Citra hop combinations, none of which I am completely happy with. 

My no-chill, 13L wort base for a 21-22L batch is giving me the ABV but not the tastes I want. I  need to make improvements to my equipment and process.

So I have not tried msking Furphys yet.

Cheers

I don't doubt Ben's brew would be better.   

I stocked up with Cooper's Session Ale for Xmas and my word, I doubt that Furphy will get a third crack having enjoyed the first six of the Sessions.   

I'd still like to know how Worthog goes if he goes ahead with his 'clone'  There is every chance he will improve on the original.  

The Session Ale seems to succeed in being the beer Furphy is trying to be.

Archived