Coopers Community

Feedback on my beginner Wheat extract recipe

Tahir

Hey Guys,

Fairly new at brewing.

On to my 3rd recipe now and thinking about using some of the ingredients I already have at hand and keeping the brew fairly simple.

I'm looking at a American wheat beer style (in beer smith)

Recipe

1 x 1.7 Kg Coopers Lager extract

1 x 1.5 Kg LME Bavarian Wheat (Briess CBW)

600g Coopers brew enhancer number 1

15g orange peel (5 min boil)

15g Coriander seeds (5 min boil)

Safbrew Wheat yeast

Made to 23 Litres

Brew smith data estimates the following :

OG: 1.046

FG: 1.014

IBU : 26

ABV 4.12%

I have all the ingredients at home apart from the Yeast.

What are your thoughts on the yeast choice, any recommendations if the one I've chosen isn't ideal ?

Any feedback on orange peel and coriander seed boil time ?

Any general feedback regarding the recipe, tweaks, recommendations ?

As always love and appreciate every comment i can get!

cheers,

T B

I,m not a fan of wheat beers and will also admit to having very little brewing experience. However on the advice of my LHBS, (beerbelly), I added a 1.5kg wheat liquid extract to my first attempt aiming for an amber ale ( see 'please critue my first brew thread ').  I was advised the wheat extract would not result in a 'wheaty' taste based on my recipe and add some 'body' ? and this has been correct in that its not wheaty at all.

although my beer is still a few days away from reaching full carbonation (used set/forget method) . due to my impatience and lack of funds for commercial beer I have been drinking and liking a few schooners (SA= 285ml) the last few nights .  If / when this brew gets better from here on in I will be no doubt be stoked and enthusiastic in continuing with brewing more and more.

best of luck and regards

Guvna

I dont think you are too far away with your brew. Id probably change the lager kit for a wheat kit and get rid of the BE1. I think you need some more wheat there somehow. WB06 isnt a bad wheat yeast. Its meant to be a hefeweizen yeast but in reality its probably only halfway to being a hefe. Its mild. It will do ok in an American wheat. You could also use US05 if you wanted as well. Coriander and orange id probably go 10 or 15 mins. Oh also with the WB06 your better to ferment around 23 or 24c. Lower than that and it doesn't have too much character. Even though it says banana over 23c I have never ever got it despite trying 2 or 3 times.

Cheers for the advise mate ,

with Melbourne weather my cupboard ambient temps are always around 16 constant so reckon the WB06 probably won’t be a go to if I wanted to brew something next week.

so if I modify it a bit keep the larger in there remove BE1 and add 1kg Dry wheat Extract instead I get :

1.7 Kg Coopers Lagar

1 Kg Dry wheat extract

1.5 Kg LME Bavarian Wheat (Briess CBW)

15g orange peel (15 min boil)

15g Coriander seeds (15 min boil)

Safbrew Wheat yeast

Made to 23 Litres

BrewSmith estimates :

American Wheat Beer
Extract (23.00 l)  ABV: 4.68 %
OG: 1.052 SG FG: 1.017 SG
IBUs: 25.7 IBUs Color: 11.7 EBC

Looks well within range in terms of style and adds more wheat.

what are thoughts about the mangrove jacks Belgian Wit (M21) yeast ? 

I would probably only use 500gm of the dry wheat. Other thing is I think it will finish a little bit lower than 1017 which will give you a higher ABV. But thats your call. If you want stronger by all means go for it.

Have used M21 once as well. That was an all grain hoegaarden attempt. Was OK but I prefered WB06 to be honest.

Archived