Coopers Community

Christmas Pilsner

BobbyBoy

3 hours ago, BobbyBoy said:

Pils is a favourite within my group of friends. Hence making it for Christmas.

Loving the discussion regarding the history and of the beer. Tommy, do you have a link to that YouTube documentary?

I do but it is all Czech language, i will look if i can find it in English or with subtitles

Brew something with pilsner malt (or whatever else you want to call very pale malt), solid bitterness, plenty of hop flavour and aroma, ferment with a lager yeast strain and you've got a yourself some sort of pilsner. Localise it all you like, the more the merrier! 

Cheers, 

John

1 minute ago, porschemad911 said:

Well isn't that what they call it in Czech? I thought only Pilsner Urquell was typically referred to as 'pilsner' over there? 

There are some interesting Good Beer Hunting podcasts on the road in Czech which talk about this. 

Cheers, 

John

Pilsner Urqell simply means the original pilsner ........ the original czech name was also Plzeňský Prazdroj which in translation can mean "ancient origin/source of Pilsner"

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It would work fine I would think.

I brew lagers with both those hops (in separate recipes), but the malt bills aren't much different to each other and they both work very well. I'd give it a go.

Thanks Otto. Just seems so easy. So I thought I’d try it. Just gotta wait for the bar fridge to make it to my door.

Archived