Coopers Community

krausen collar

kman1973

Yes & yes. The collar acts as an airlock whilst also preventing overflow of the foam (the krausen).

Jump on you tube & type in Coopers Krausen Collar. Many vids on home brewing to get you started. This is a great forum for specific details from many well experienced home brewers with good knowledge given in laymans terms.

Hoppy Brewing Day to you Kman

Hi @kman1973,

I have the bigger coopers fermenter and have used the krausen collar on every brew so far. 

Different brews and yeasts create differing size krausen and usually I leave the collar on until the foam has dropped back into the beer and then remove it and add my dry hops at the same time.

It makes it a lot easier to clean the fermenter if all the scum is removed with the collar, you can put it straight into the dishwasher or soak it in some sodium percarbonate or the like.

As for airlock, I don't think they are air tight but a layer of Co2 is formed on top of the brew and is enough to stop oxidisation. 

Cheers, Lee

The collar doesn’t act as an airlock, it just creates extra headspace and assists with cleaning.

I very rarely use the collar, only for beers that I suspect will have a vigorous ferment. Usually dark beers and wheat beers for me.

Yeah it's not an airlock, and it's not airtight either or else the fermenter would explode. It appears to be designed to allow gas to escape without letting anything in; I've been using my airlock style fermenter like this for a few years now, replacing the airlock with tape over the hole. Works fine.

Archived