Coopers Community

Recent Purchases

Otto Von Blotto

Hi guys,

Just a few purchases today. Got the usual Brewbrite to keep stocks up, and a couple smack packs of yeast, one being 1056 which I'm going back to for hoppy pale ales and the odd IPA batch, and I also got some 2278 Czech Pils lager yeast, which is apparently the Urquell D-strain. I've decided to retire the 2000 Budvar yeast and try this strain instead, with the Boh Pils being back in the mix of brewing. I expect it will become the house lager yeast for the next year or two. I picked up another 90g of Saaz for the next lager as I have one still in the freezer unopened, so those two should be enough for a batch of Bo Pils, which will be my next lager batch after this pale ale I'm brewing tomorrow. And I grabbed some more isinglass but didn't get charged for it because they didn't have the one they did charge me for so gave me a refund on that and let me take the other lot.

I'm planning on trying out this Biofine Clear at some stage as well to see how it compares to my current isinglass+Polyclar regime. They've also just got this enzyme in stock that apparently gets rid of the precursor to diacetyl, however I have no problems with that so I doubt I'll try that one out.

Cheers

Kelsey

20 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

also got some 2278 Czech Pils lager yeast, which is apparently the Urquell D-strain.

I'd be keen to hear how that one compares actually, I ran the White Labs WLP800 which is supposed to be the same as 2001 I think, and I wasn't really thrilled with it. Have made the same recipe since with 34/70 and much preferred that, but probably less authentic.

I still have my WLP800 cryo stored in glycol in the freezer, along with some WLP029 kolsch that have both been there about two years I think so I'd better wake them up soon or they will probably flatline! I may not bother with the 800 actually, just the kolsch for a summer beer. 

I'll definitely post the results once the beer is on tap. I really enjoyed the 2001 in those pilsners and was disappointed when they changed it to a seasonal release. The 2000 Budvar yeast was also relegated to seasonal, but overall I didn't like it in those beers as much so I probably won't use it again. They were nice but they were better with the Urquell yeast, but keen to see how the 2278 goes in the same recipe.

Archived