Coopers Community

Real Ale and Stout Recipes

So I went a bit nuts and bought a few kits I havent tried before and was looking for recipe ideas.

I had a look on the Recipes page and nothing was really catching my attention.

So if anyone could share their favourite recipes for the Real Ale and Stout kits that would be great. Probably looking more for kits and bits with some added grains etc rather than a standard K&K

Both the Real ale and the stout are two of my favourites. For the stout you can't go past PB2's toucan recipe. Can of stout, can of dark ale, 1kg dextrose, both yeasts.  Plenty of time to mature in the bottle.  The real ale just needs some time in the bottle to mellow out, I have used BE3 in the past but now just throw a kilo of malt at it with some crystal malt. Both taste great

For the real ale maybe try a partial mash with 1kg of maris otter 250g carapils make up the remainder with malt and/or dextrose to get to whatever gravity you want and steep a heap of hops for 15 minutes to give it some zing. I did one with azacca, citra and galaxy 35g each steeped for 15 minutes the only difference was I used the cerveza kit instead of the real ale. It was tasty. I also dry hopped the same hops at 37g of azacca and citra and 22g of galaxy, I think it was the left overs. Just remember the ibus from the kit and factor in the steep ibus, or actively work to cool the wort while steeping to below 80c to stop unwanted bitterness.

Cheers,

Norris

Thanks for the tips everyone

For the Stout, I was thinking of just keeping it pretty simple - Looked at adding Vanilla etc, but that sh1t is expensive so I might go simple first and see how the kit goes.

Recipe I have so far is as follows

1.7kg Coopers Stout
2.0kg Light Dry Malt
200g Chocolate Malt
200g Light Crystal Malt

Volume of 21L which is giving me OG 1.064 and FG 1.016

IBU 57.4 and EBC 118.60

The bitterness seems to be in a pretty good place, but just wondering if I need to up the grains to get a higher EBC? or even change the grains to Dark Crystal or Dark Choc Malt?

Any suggestions to improve are appreciated. I figured a hop addition is pretty wasted on a Stout, but have some EKG lying around I could probably chuck in if its going to do anything.

I made the Shiner Black IPA at the start of the year with Galaxy hops.  Hop aroma and flavour came through very well.  But it is not a stout.

Also did the more recent Jitter Juice but added my home grown Goldings hops in a 10 gram 10 minute boil and 10 gram dry hop.  Compared to the unedited Jitter Juice it is a little bit smoother, but not noticeable hoppy.

Hi Fergy.

Of those I've brewed with the Real Ale can I have enjoyed the following (in order)...

Canadian Eh!L's Big Island IPA

Coopers DIY Recipe: Steam Beer

Coopers DIY Recipe: Spirit of ANZAC Ale

The "Spirit of ANZAC" Ale is missing the inclusion of the Real Ale can in the listing, but trust me, it's part of the recipe. ?

I hope they give you a few ideas.

Cheers,

Lusty.

On 8/24/2018 at 9:09 PM, Scooby 1525229719 said:

My 1st stout I want to put down is this. Good channel too. 

I brewed this back in Feb. Won't do it again. The little bit of barely noticeable vanilla was gone within a week after they were ready to drink and the beer came out too thin and lacked body for a stout. Followed the recipe to the letter and still wasn't happy with it. I've still got 3 or 4 longnecks of it, but I'm not interested in them at all. I'd try pb2s recipe instead...

I don't have a link. I don't think it's even on the Cooper's recipe page. To my knowledge it's just a well known/respected recipe from around the traps of this forum. It's basically the following, just not 100% on what the volume is, 20 or 23 ltrs, but I'm sure someone will correct me:

1 x Cooper's stout can

1 x Cooper's dark ale can

1kg Dextrose

Use both kit yeasts

I'll prob make this in November to age for next winter. Might even add some choc malt steeped grains.

6 hours ago, karlos_1984 said:

I don't have a link. I don't think it's even on the Cooper's recipe page. To my knowledge it's just a well known/respected recipe from around the traps of this forum. It's basically the following, just not 100% on what the volume is, 20 or 23 ltrs, but I'm sure someone will correct me:

1 x Cooper's stout can

1 x Cooper's dark ale can

1kg Dextrose

Use both kit yeasts

I'll prob make this in November to age for next winter. Might even add some choc malt steeped grains.

It is on the recipe page, or at least used to be. I haven't looked, but that's the toucan stout recipe, basically an approximation of Coopers best extra stout. Pretty sure it's 23 litres, I made it once back in the day and it was a great brew. 

Edit: they've changed it from a dark ale kit to a tin of dark extract. Brewed to 20L. I haven't made that version but the version karlos posted kicks arse.

8 hours ago, Scooby 1525229719 said:

@karlos_1984 with the video stout recipe, how did you find the choc notes with the grains and addition of cocoa powder? 

I don't want to put you off trying the recipe. You could definitely taste the chocolate. However, overall my experience was underwhelming. Just give it a crack, yours might turn out alright. Bear in mind mine was brewed in February in the heat, without temp control. I had my FV in a laundry bucket wrapped in a wet towel with ice bricks, which I rkn is the reason why it wasn't much good.

Archived