Coopers Community

Aldi's Flensburger wheat and Pilsner

therealthing691

I have brought these before great stubbies for brewing IMO they have flip top ceramic tops I have some that I have  used for 18mths still seal great $15 a six pack and the bottles are free .Just thought I would mention sale starts tomorrow in Melbourne others states unsure Cheers Brian

My mate gave me all of his Grolsch bottles in preference for crown cap.  I gladly accepted!  I love the swingtop.  so easy and quick.  So about half of my brewery is swingtop (Grolsch + the brown glass 500mL ones).  Some of the brown glass ones are SUPER thick and durable, not sure if these are from Aldi or from another source.  Never had problems with the rubber/silicone seals like some ppl have reported here

7 minutes ago, joolbag said:

My mate gave me all of his Grolsch bottles in preference for crown cap.  I gladly accepted!  I love the swingtop.  so easy and quick.  So about half of my brewery is swingtop (Grolsch + the brown glass 500mL ones).  Some of the brown glass ones are SUPER thick and durable, not sure if these are from Aldi or from another source.  Never had problems with the rubber/silicone seals like some ppl have reported here

If I recall correctly, the Aldi ones are 330ml bottles.

50 minutes ago, joolbag said:

not sure either but they do have a flensburger  brewery in  Germany and they do have the flensburger trademark on the bottle .Anyhow there great bottles

Yep, very good little bottles, I have a dozen and might grab another 6 pack. I have another dozen grolsh 450ml swing tops, they’re good too. But I really like the altenmunster 500ml swing tops. Very thick glass and look great but a bit pricey. 

330mL swingtops?!  sounds good, I will have to look out for these just for the novelty value of a small swingie.

Also beer sounds quite alright too.  I had a few disappointments from Aldi, but also quite a few good ones imported from EU

I bought a six-pack last night and already three are gone!  The pilsner is quite enjoyable, very German pils in style, crystal clear and tastes like it had been lagered properly.  interestingly they print the best before / manufactured on date.  These were made in May, so about 4 months old.

Next week I saw Brauberg 6 packs are on sale.  Don't know much about the beer, its a mixed six (2 of each style, probably German pils, German wheat and maybe a German ale?).  I'll probably get it too, for the bottles again as they are mega cute

• 2 weeks later...

They had it on sale in February as well ..... i think i ended up buying couple of 6 packs and kept the bottles.... i still use some for my craft FV beers but i got rid of nost last weekend. For the big FV i either use Grolsh or other 500mls swing top bottles .... swing top is the way to go for me ..... most of mine are 500 mls Czech Bernard bottles ..... there is a Czech country club not far from me where they sell them on the bar and i always keep the bottles from the beers that i drink .... you can also buy a box of em from the bar for like $20 and there is i think 10 or 15 of them .... in case anyone is keen let me know

The first Aldi I went to said "Lady came in here this morning and bought all 7 cases we had". "Keen!" was all I could think of.

Got another two six packs (one of each) at another store. I quite like both beers though I prefer the weizen. 

Empty bottles will join their previously bought brothers and sisters to be filled with my brews.

7 cases!!! Wow she must love the beer.  I picked up a pack of the Flensburger Pilsner and I've drank 4 of the 6 bottles.  I like it, good example of a German Pilsner.

I got the Brauberg that came out a week later and it is a mixed six: 2 x pils, 2 x hellos, 2 x wheat beer.  I remembered why I don't buy wheat beer - not to my style.  The other two are good.  The pils tastes like the Flensburger.  The helles is my favourite and perhaps I will brew another helles in my upcoming brewing schedule.  Haven't brewed a helles since my extract days (and even that one was quite nice)

Yeah the Aldi Flensburger is the real thing.  Drunk it in Northern Germany a while ago and tastes the same. here... though probably pastuerized.

Flasch' Flens they used to say... that's the Pilsener... but I don' t reckon they should be brewing Weizen.. that's the domain of the Bavarians! 

Don't reckon they were brewing Weizen when I was up that way.  Anyway - Flens Weizen does taste ok. 

Good to hear that re-using the swingtops works well.

14 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Yeah the Aldi Flensburger is the real thing.  Drunk it in Northern Germany a while ago and tastes the same. here... though probably pastuerized.

Flasch' Flens they used to say... that's the Pilsener... but I don' t reckon they should be brewing Weizen.. that's the domain of the Bavarians! 

Don't reckon they were brewing Weizen when I was up that way.  Anyway - Flens Weizen does taste ok. 

I love European beer  I was never a beer drinker till my first trip to Europe in 2008.

Am a sucker for the German variety... from North to South, West to East... there are so many variants... and all under the (originally Bavarian) Reinheitsgebot of 1516... now  German Beer Purity Law: Hopfen Malz und Gott erhalt's... Hops and Malt and may God preserve...  so she's all full grain over there no rubbish...  just like the home brew masters.

Pure Gold.  And each usually with their own specific glass style, bier mat, drip catcher if with a stem... beer culture.  7 minutes to pour a Pils.  All sorts of crazy festive beer stuff.

Have drunk a few in Prague (was then Czechoslovakia not sure what is now), France, Belgium, Denmark, Italy and Portugal... but I think the German beer is ahead in the race. 

Each to their own though hey...   My first Weizen I ever had, the lads asked me what I thought... full of yeast and cloudy... I said, (not what I believe now) it tastes like.... ffkkkkkn Creek Water... so that was me nickname from then on - Creekwater.... make sure you invite Creekwater over for the next Fest they used to say ?!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2018 at 8:46 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

Yes the swing tops have worked a treat. On to my third generation. 

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Love the photo.

Guess my 'poor cousin' rainwater Kit-based Brew is nothing on the serious levels of excellence of the distilled-water+ All Grainers...

and even using an Ale Yeast is prolly disgraceful for a Lager...  

but I thought it would be good to take up the 'beer photography' challenge Shamus!  ?  Glad you like it. 

Fortunately a bit of rain has greened things up in the background to set the scene... and put more brew water in the tanks ; )

And given its inherent ingredient/temp/yeast constraints the flavour-head-retention-bubbles-mouth-feel actually has come up pretty good.  

I am fearful I will not have the opportunity to research into flavour improvement with conditioning as the bottles are going fast!

Nothing wrong with rain water if it's sanitary. We have a tank too but I'm dubious of its cleanliness, and even though I do 75+ minute boils I still don't trust that some nasty shit won't somehow survive that process. I suppose it could be disinfected with potassium metabisulphite, but I really can't be arsed. 

All grain isn't always great either, if the wort is poorly brewed, the fermentation done badly or the recipe is crap then the beer will be as well. But using decent processes and good recipes, it is a step up in quality from kits in my opinion, based only on my own experience moving from kits/extract brewing to all grain. I don't believe that good or great beers can't be made from kits, but I did notice all grain produced a fresher tasting beer.

17 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Well all you Flens and Swingtop afficionados - reckon you were right all along!   Here is my first exemplar...  plenty of carbonation and a really nice POP when opened!

Mmmm how hard is it to get the labels off?

image.thumb.png.a346d6a14bf5a7c341d5317055760016.png

Excellent looking beer! I don't seem to have any trouble at all getting the labels off. Although it was not my intention to remove the labels, they just came straight off with a reasonably warm (not hot) soaking in a per solution when I was cleaning the bottles. 

Archived