Coopers Community

Newbie fermenting fridge question

therealthing691

Hi Guys just a quick ?????? the brew I did today I Pitched rehydrated Safale be256 at 22c put in the temp controlled fridge setup is down to 18.5 4hrs later is holding that +  -  2 .The question that too quick ??

When should look at taking SG reading .I am new to controlled  fermenting temps . Before it was ambient temps heat belt and cold towel blanket etc   before the fridge

cheers and thanks in advance Brian

How is it set up? If the probe is stuck to the fermenter, you can reduce the difference down lower than 2 degrees, 0.3/0.5 is common and probably better.

I'm not familiar with that yeast but I usually take an SG sample after 3 days in the fermenter with ales, in your case that would be Wednesday.

Thanks Otto the probe is stuck to the fermenter insulated heaps. I was just worried pitching at 22 c and dropping it to18.5c in a 4hr period could make it stall as its the first time I have used a controlled  temp setup   suppose I will find out in 24 or so hours Cheers and thanks

be 256 is a fast aggressive  yeast 82% attenuation . I have used it at 20 -22c without a controlled setup 3 days tops and settles quick too I will see how long it takes at 18.5 c. I checked before 3cm or more krausen no bubbling in the airlock but all good I say   cheers and thanks once again

Day  4  OG:  1061   FG: 1008  calculator said 1010 but hey 1008 works for me. I will pump the temp up till Sunday .3 c  a day.  Then  cold crash Sun/Mon   .Had a taste out of the hydrometer mmmmmmmmm if its any indication of what  controlled temp fermenting does I kick my self for not doing this earlier.   cheers

Archived