Coopers Community

Schwarzbier Recipe

After brewing pale ales and IPAs all the time I decided to do something different. I currently have a Bohemian Pilsner in a keg legering away and I have a simple pale ale in the fermenter as a keg filler. As soon as that hits FG I’ll keg and immediately brew a schwarzbier. After reading about the style it interested me. Due to a reasonable tax return I ordered a couple of batches in advance to save on shipping for once.

Hopefully my milled grain for this batch will be ok. It will be about 4 weeks old by the time I brew with it. 

Schwarzbier

Batch - 13L

OG - 1.052

FG - 1.012

ABV - 5.3%

IBU - 31

EBC - 50

90 minute boil 

2.35kgs (70.4%) Pilsner Malt

0.63kgs (18.9%) Munich Malt

0.16kgs (4.8%) Carafa Special

0.12kgs (3.6%) Caramunich 3

0.08kgs (2.4%) Chocolate Malt

30gms Saaz @ 60 minutes

20gms Saaz @ 20 minutes

Wyeast 2124 - Bohemian Lager 

Although I can’t change the recipe now I am interested to hear opinions on the style and the recipe. 

Thanks, Beer Baron

Hey mate. I've brewed one Schwartzbier, it was extract and just before I got my AG equipment. It was very tasty and the only dark Lager I have ever brewed. It isn't supposed to be roast like a porter/stout, but rather crisp and clean and surprisingly light in taste for the colour.

From memory mine had carafa special 3 in it. I enjoyed it and think K it turned out well. Perhaps on the brew list in the future.

Archived