Coopers Community

Guvna's Brew No. 2 - Session Ale

Guvna

Also kegged and bottled my first Amber Ale yesterday and have the keg in fridge at 3c. Thinking I'l let that sit for 24 hrs or so and then start carbing it up. Got 5 longnecks which are inside where its warmer, might pop them in the fermeter fridge with current brew at 19.5c ?

This time I remembered to take a OG which was 1.056 - 3-4 points higher than the beersmith estimate which suggests my hydrometer is slightly out which could explain why my first brew ended up a bit high at approx 1.018

cheers Guvna

4 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

May as well start carbonating it now mate. The gas will absorb, and more so as it chills down.

Session ale looks good. Why the crystal and maltodextrin though?

I dunno really,  the maltodextrin was in the BE2 pack, and i read somewhere the crytal grains improve the head?

interested in any thoughts or advice?

Guv

Maltodextrin and crystal malt pretty much do the same thing, but the crystal adds a bit of sweetness, which is usually quite nice unless you go overboard with it. 200g is a nice amount though.

I don't know the pressure/temperature things off the top of my head to achieve certain CO2 volumes, but it's not something I worry about much. I just set it to the pressure that gives me the carbonation level I want by taste. It took a bit of trial and error but I worked it out over a few kegs. On my setup it's about 11psi and the temperature is around zero, but there's no rules about what temp or pressure you should use, it's mostly personal preference.

On 8/19/2018 at 11:20 AM, Guvna said:

Got 5 longnecks which are inside where its warmer, might pop them in the fermeter fridge with current brew at 19.5c ?

Yeah mate. That’s what I try and do with most of my bottles. Tuck them in and around the fermenter that’s in the fermenter chamber/fridge. So that they are at prime temp for bottle conditioning. And thus the cycle of beer life continues. As the next batch is in the fermenter for 2 weeks. The bottles in there are also carbing up nicely. 

And it also works well because if you cold crash in your ferment fridge  then you have cold carbed beers to drink while bottling your current brew ? 

mom a lucky man and I can fit a keg and fermenter in my ferment fridge at the same time  so naturally carb my kegs and tuck my extra few bottles in and around there too  ? 

after approx 68 hours of strong bubbling and 1.5cm krausen, no activity? sound normal?

will take a gravity read tomorrow i think

gave it a shake and raised to 20.5c , getting a few bubbles again ? 

thought anyone?

Guvna

Nearly three days is good, so there is a height to fermentation then it subsides a bit but fermentation still happens. Take a reading, pour the first one out and take another reading. Let us know what it is. It should be a fair way through the process by now. 

Captain

3 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Nearly three days is good, so there is a height to fermentation then it subsides a bit but fermentation still happens. Take a reading, pour the first one out and take another reading. Let us know what it is. It should be a fair way through the process by now. 

Captain

thanks Capt. will do,  should i perhaps drop temp back to where it was then? 19.4 ish?

Howdy all, been reading through forum re my 20 g Galaxy addition at 15 mins in this brew.  Is that considered late enough to avoid the repeated reports of harshness  when boiling Galaxy ?

too late now, and in time guess i'll find out , just curious if anyone has done something similar?

cheers

Guvna

18 minutes ago, Guvna said:

Howdy all, been reading through forum re my 20 g Galaxy addition at 15 mins in this brew.  Is that considered late enough to avoid the repeated reports of harshness  when boiling Galaxy ?

too late now, and in time guess i'll find out , just curious if anyone has done something similar?

cheers

Guvna

I don’t find it harsh at those times but I wouldn’t do anything over the 20min mark. But that’s also how I put together my beers. 

Definitely don’t use it as a 60 minute addition. Only for late, steeps and dry hopping additions.

Captain

tested gravity just now at 1.018 - thats down from 1.056  @  6 days approx 20.0c   -   tested whilst drinking quite a few coopers milds this evening ?

anyhows - gonna leave another week and then cc

fridee cheers to y'all - Guvna

What's the batch size? The OG mentioned is 5 points higher than beersmith predicts in the pic above, maybe it's really sitting at 1.013? I'd test the hydrometer. 

I tested my hydrometer again the other day, and at first it appeared to have somehow corrected itself and was reading 1.000 in the water. But then I gave it a spin again and it was back to its normal .998.

On 8/19/2018 at 11:20 AM, Guvna said:

This time I remembered to take a OG which was 1.056 - 3-4 points higher than the beersmith estimate which suggests my hydrometer is slightly out which could explain why my first brew ended up a bit high at approx 1.018

Think your right Capt, Otto,  should look into another hydrometer at some stage. Still if i allow for the difference , its abv is nearly 5% which is consistent with the beersmith prediction. hard to say from the pic below but appears at least 2 points out maybe 4 ?  - I say 4?

Batch size is 23 litres, gonna leave it at least another week, might drop a little  more?

20180805_122250.jpg

Depends how it should be read. Some, like mine, are bottom meniscus, others are meant to be read at the top. Depending on which one yours is it's either 1.000 or 1.002. In terms of ABV it doesn't matter if it's out, the difference between OG and FG is still the same.

I know mine is .998 at the bottom of the meniscus but it's about .996 at the top so I tend to read from the top and add 4 points. Can't really see through the beer most of the time so it's easier.

Archived