Coopers Community

Crown Urn and what else?

Worthog

I have my eye on this Crown Urn 40L to continue my AG biab-ing.  I will purchase the Strainer/False Bottom to keep the bag off the bottom and to support an immersion cooler if I get one.

Can I get some advice on whether to buy an immersion cooler of just do no-chill in a cube?

If cube; how do brewers on here match a cube to wort volume, to have no air-gap, to reduce chance of infection while it cools? What if you have varying wort volumes depending on recipe? Would an air-gap be that critical when you are pouring hot wort in it?

What other critical equipment should I consider while purchasing the Crown Urn? ( I currently biab in a 30l pot, bath cool wort, and sieve into fermenter, so I have all the equipment to do that, with also a bag lift pulley system for mash out).

Cheers   

Gday worthog.

i use a crown urn, I don’t have a false bottom. 

A standard brew for me starts at 36 litres. Each batch is approximately 5.5kg of grains to get 25 in the cube at approximately 1.050

Im not going to advocate no chilling as it has its advantages and disadvantages. 

Chilling does give you more room to move with hop additions however it does make your day longer. For my life this is why I no chill. 

I fill my cube to just below the top, then push the sides in till the container is full. There is probably a another few litres in the kettle at this point. 

Minimise the air gap to minimise the chance of infection by doing above but yes you should minimise the air gap. 

As for equipment, 3 piece ball valve you can take apart, transfer hose. That’s about it mate.

Also I believe software is critical. I use BeerSmith 

Captain

Kirk has covered it pretty well. 

As for matching volume it's a bit trial and error but for mine I use 20 and 25 litre cubes to make 21 and 25 litre batches. I start with 11 litres more water than the intended batch size. That's based off a 75 minute boil and 4-5 litres trub loss.

Chilling or not is up to you. I do no chill for convenience, as I always brew on Saturday and rarely if ever am pitching a new batch the same day.

Archived