Coopers Community

Keg Priming

Eyesells

You will need a CO2 cylinder connected to the kegs to dispense the beer as well as keep it carbonated. Without it the beer will go flat and you'll lose pressure to pour it.

What's the reason behind using half the priming sugar that would go into bottles? Been kegging for three years and never done it, always just carbonate them with the gas (I don't like waiting longer than I have to ?). 

The difference in priming sugar required is mainly due to the difference in the relative amount of headspace between individual bottles vs a keg. Effectively you need more co2 to fill the greater amount of headspace in bottles (as a % of the total batch volume) to ensure the right amount of pressure to force the co2 into solution. The 50% ratio is more a rule of thumb, and one I've found to be a little low but it depends on how much dissolved co2 you end up with after fermentation and the amount of headspace you actually end up with (half filling a keg would invalidate the model for example). For 19L kegs I've used around 100-120g for 2.5-ish volumes. When priming 19L kegs you also need to shoot about 20-30psi in them anyway to ensure they seal, but not an issue for mini kegs. 

4 hours ago, Eyesells said:

Yes sir so ... carbonation in the keg is okay via drops or batch prime method?

Batch is fine - I mix up some dex with a small amount of boiling water to dissolve it, stick that in the keg, let it cool a bit and then drop the beer on top of that to mix it through. 

Probably a stupid question !!

but would this method still work with a partly filled keg?

for example 10 ltrs in a 19 ?

i have often thought of trying this, I understand you still need c02 to have the beer at serving pressure.

cheers ?

On 8/18/2018 at 5:44 AM, Wobbly74 said:

The difference in priming sugar required is mainly due to the difference in the relative amount of headspace between individual bottles vs a keg. Effectively you need more co2 to fill the greater amount of headspace in bottles (as a % of the total batch volume) to ensure the right amount of pressure to force the co2 into solution. The 50% ratio is more a rule of thumb, and one I've found to be a little low but it depends on how much dissolved co2 you end up with after fermentation and the amount of headspace you actually end up with (half filling a keg would invalidate the model for example). For 19L kegs I've used around 100-120g for 2.5-ish volumes. When priming 19L kegs you also need to shoot about 20-30psi in them anyway to ensure they seal, but not an issue for mini kegs. 

Thanks for this information ?

So a party filled keg would need more due the extra headspace?

cheers 

On 8/18/2018 at 6:34 AM, Greeny1525229549 said:

When ive done it i dont even bother dissolving the sugar. Dump 90g in and dump the beer into the keg on top of it. The yeast will eat it up regardless.

+1 I also just dump my 80g of table sugar in, but have been thinking its a bit low for me, will be doing 100g for my next few kegs and will see how they go.

Archived