Coopers Community

Tip my hat to my dad

The Captain!!

So Father’s Day is just around the corner and I wanted to share how my father influenced me in my brewing and my life. 

I was born when my dad was 27. I’m the youngest of four boys. He took on a single mother of two and adopted the two eldest boys as his own. I didn’t know they weren’t my full brothers till I was 16.

He homebrewed in the 70’s and 80’s. Then took a hiatus till the late 90’s. 

He tells me how he use to brew frequently and how difficult it was to get grain etc for brewing. 

He went out to the hop farm just before harvest to steal hops to make beer. The hop farm is long gone and the dam for the irrigation now has a resort on it. Karri valley resort. The dam in its day was the biggest construction job in Australia at the time. 

He got his grain from a farmer who malted grain for himself who became a family friend. 

He would boil his wort then cool using the local river water by placing the whole kettle in the river. 

Other times he would open cool down or cool ship his beers for weird beers as he called it. He says they were a bit weird each time but really good. Never the same. 

He was also a keen vege gardener. I grew up picking ripe tomatoes off the vine and sneaking the odd radish.

He played footy for Port Melbourne and played centre for the league side at 16. All of us boys have been good at footy and the two  eldest boys played WAFL for a few years. 

So how has he influenced me??   I’ve played footy most my life but had to give up due to concussions. I am as stubborn as he is. I grow a hell of a lot of veges and now homebrew. He says that my beer is better than he once brewed for consistency but I’m not the talk of the town when it comes to being a legend homebrewer like he was. 

I tip my hat to ya mate! 

Cheers for being an awesome role model. 

Captain

That's awesome mate. 

My dad never really brewed much but as I described in the other post he did essentially get me started on it. I can probably blame him for my getting into all the scientific side though, we share an interest in that stuff, mainly chemistry (he was an industrial chemist back in the day) and have the same "beliefs" for want of a better term. He's taught me a fair bit but I'm sure he knows a lot more than me. I think learning that side of it has improved my beers a lot, so I thank him for passing on that interest. Still a lot to learn of course.

I got my dad's drinking genes - one beer is too many and 15 is not enough. Crippled with this affliction it made sound, economic sense for me to start making my own beer.
My dad had a short stint of brewing in the early 70s but I was too young to know how he went about it, if it was AG or not. I just remember the black FV in our shed.

@TheCaptain - some similarities in our lives. I'm also the youngest of 4 sons. My parents also adopted/guardianed 2 extra kids, my orphaned cousins. They raised 6 kids.

It's funny, my dad and I don't have a lot in common but we're very alike. Does that make sense? 
If it wasn't for my dad I'd still be an ovum. Do you know how hard it is to brew beer when your just an ovum?

8 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

What I meant to add is how has your father/uncle/ auntie/ loved one, influenced you in your life or brewing? 

I have my family to thank for home brewing; they are my reason for drinking.

My dad brewed at some point in the 80s or early 90s and by all reports of people who drank it, including himself, it was rubbish.

I’m no master brewer but my old man often comments that my beers are better than just about anything he buys. And these days I’ve converted him from a tooheys red drinker into a seeker of fine ales,  and he now he is back brewing himself doing the odd batch in the little craft fv I gave him.

and +1 to Hairys comment on top of all that!

I also have my old man for the brewing habit, in fact my life time DIY preferences.

He was a projectionist in the local picture theatre back in the 6 O'clock pub closing days. Because they couldn't leave the projector, at times they could send a beer runner across the road to the pub with a billy can and drink it straight from the billy. We weren't exactly flash with coin so the obvious choice was to brew his own from scratch. My contribution was to sugar the bottles after getting home from school. Mum would keep the yeast jar fed and warm between brews.

His beer, well it had a kick like a horse and tasted like gin's p$ss!!!! so the bar wasn't set too high when I first started brewing back in the 70's. ??

Thanks Dad!

23 minutes ago, Olemate said:

He was a projectionist

My dad was a projectionist too. He used to project all his issues and insecurities on to me.

Nah, he didn't really. I watched Bell & Ted's Excellent Adventure last night and just wanted to sound smart like Siggy Freud. (I really did watch the movie though).

2 minutes ago, Olemate said:

Heavy Dude, heavy!! ? I did see the movie quite a while back, not my cup of tea, or should I say "pot of ale".

I will admit that it didn't seem as funny as it did when I saw it in 1989. And it's not like I have matured since then either.

My dad is a teetotaller. I probably got the 'make your own' thing from my Mum more, although she's never brewed beer.

I don't know, with my parents I'm torn between not wanting to be anything like either of them, slowly understanding why they are the way they are, and resigning myself to but never accepting the fact that I'm most likely going to end up like a cross between them.

My family life ended when I was 14. I'm never going to walk out on my marriage and kids aged 14, 12, 10 and 8, that's for sure. And I'm going to get to know my kids and who they are from day 1 right through. 

Maybe I'm no different to either parent though... If I could look back and see them with me and each other when I was little, and they were the same as I am with my wife and son now, then I don't know what I would think. Probably pray for wisdom and mercy at a crossroads to come. 

John

Archived