WY Pale malt 2.25kg

Briess brewers malt 2.25kg

WY Munich malt T1 0.45kg

WY Vienna malt 0.45kg

WY Cara Munich T2 0.45kg

WY Carafa III 0.09kg

Cascade 15g 60mins

Hallertau 30g 15mins

The pack says it should be 22 IBUs, but when I put the recipe in BeerSmith it says 17 IBUs, so was thinking of putting 10g of Willette in for 60 mins as well to get it to around 25 IBUs?

Will also be using my house Nottingham  yeast so it won’t be a true Oktoberfest as they are meant to be lagers.

With the 2 different pale malts, one is Weyerman and other one is Briess, not sure what the difference is?

Was thinking about fermenting at about 17degC

Was almost nearly thinking of making it an American Amber by changing up the hops and throwing a bit more Cascade and Citra at it, but would like a crack at a German type beer with the malt bill.

Havent made a beer this low IBUs before, don’t want it to be too cloying.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

James

Just checked the recipe instructions and they are for 20 litres in the fermenter.

I am losing the IBUs because I am getting 23L in the FV.

Will up the early additions to get me into the early 20’s.

Doing this one today, hopefully it doesn’t turn out too sweet.

Cheers

James

Kind of an odd recipe for an Oktoberfest. Vienna and Munich quantities seem very low and looks like they're offsetting with the caramunich which may give it a caramel note that isn't consistent with the style. Looks like a good American amber if you went with the notto and corresponding American hop schedule though. 

Was almost going to do an American Amber, but stuck with the original idea of a  Moktoberfest.

Mash was at 66degC and IBUs at 21.

Fermenting away nicely now, never used German type type malts before so will be interested in the flavours I get from it compared to Aussie and English malts.

Cheers

James

Archived