Coopers Community

Chocolate raspberry coconut porter

zacinabox

Hey folks. I purchased the Island toasted coconut porter Coopers Recipe of the month. I want to experiment a little/a lot and was thinking of adding chocolate and/or raspberry.  Anyone have any experience with adding either of these ingredients to an extract/grain recipe?

i found an all grain recipe that said to throw in a can of raspberry in the fermenter among with the toasted coconut and let it sit for a month. 

What about using Lindt raspberry dark chocolate? How would I go about adding chocolate to the mix?

Cheers ? 

Raspberry and coconut is best added after initial fermentation is complete, the sugar from the fruit will revive the yeast and ferment it out but it won’t strip all the taste away. 

Im not sure about chocolate as it’s a fat and will kill your head retention but having said that I have heard of people chucking a block in and saying it was sensational. I haven’t done this before so can’t comment on specifics 

Captain

I've not added chocolate before, but you can buy essences that would be easy to use to intensify flavours such as chocolate in brewing. This is what is used in the Coopers DIY recipe: Chocolate Liqueur Stout.

My current brew (Coopers ROTM) uses toasted desiccated coconut so I'll soon know the influence of that in a beer. ?

I've made a Blueberry Vanilla Porter before. I actually made a "compote" of sorts with a mixture of the fruit & some dextrose (or sugar). I mixed this in with my main brew wort prior to pitching the yeast & the beer turned out terrific with a notable blueberry aroma/flavour that combined well with the roasty porter type flavours & vanilla undertone. Look to use at least 1kg of berries in a 20-23 litre darker styled beer.

You can certainly add the berries after fermentation has begun as is described in the Coopers DIY recipe: Blushing Blonde if you wish.

Just my 2 cents,

Lusty.

Archived