Coopers Community

Yeast Strain Comparisons

Otto Von Blotto

Dug this topic out of search;

Anyway, I'm beginning to use and enjoy US-05 more. I was a big fan of (no-fail) Nottingham for my ales.

I love the sweet and subtle attributes US-05 delivers. I slurry it for 3 generations to save money and have never been disappointed by it.

I have never had the dreaded "band-aid" from it, probably because I ensure no possibility of "chlorine" water.

Sometimes I think of it as a Summer-time lager yeast due to its mellow taste delivery. 

I don't expect any responses from scientific beer-o-philes.?

Cheers.

I used it for years in APAs and it never failed except once when I suspect it had been reused too much. Funny phenolic like flavors, but not band-aid (I never got that from it either). Bought a new pack for the next batch and it was fine. 

I'm going back to it again for the next pale ale and beyond after using 1272 for the last year and a bit, but this time in the liquid variety of 1056. 

I've fermented with US-05 more than any other strain in my brewery & at varying ferment temps, & never been disappointed by it even given I generally use a lot of top-up water from the tap. After following the advice Hairy offered way back about using campden tablets on my top-up tap water I have not had any obvious water related issues that relate to over chlorination from the direct water supply. pH issues related to mashing grains I'm admittedly still trying to fully understand & how to best deal with.

Like any ingredient you plan to use in the construction of your beer, buy it from a reliable supplier that maintains fresh, regularly rotated stock & you generally will have fewer problems. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

US 05 is my go to when I want the hops to be the hero for US IPAs and PAs. Its pretty dependable and clean. If i want a little more character I will go to the 1272 which also has the added benefit of floculating much more quickly than the chico strain. 

I have found that US 05 is also an ale strain where you can dump onto the cake and get basically no difference in the final beer to a normal pitch. Wouldn't try it with another ale strain but it works good with US 05.

Archived