Coopers Community

Coopers Kits - Ring Pull?

Fergy1987

So was just looking at my Kit and was wondering....why haven't Coopers gone down the Ring Pull path for the kits?

Is it just a cost of manufacturing or a freshness thing? Would make brew day that bit easier because my can opener is garbage lol

11 hours ago, PB2 said:

Out of interest on the subject, wouldn't pouches be far cheaper & more environmentally friendly or is it that you would need to replace the packaging machinery & the set up cost is to high?

Not sure if pouches, which would need to be multi-layered and (therefore) not recyclable are more environmentally friendly than recyclable cans??  I'm sure our Marketing Manager has looked into this. 

Our current line runs fairly efficiently, at around 100/min for 1.7kg cans.  The line comprises the depalletiser, filling carousel, seamer, labelling machine, pick and place yeast applicator, capping machine, carton forming machine and palletiser - yep, a lot of expensive kit!

Perhaps if we were setting up as a new venture, dunno...

On 8/14/2018 at 10:31 AM, Mikes15 said:

Out of interest on the subject, wouldn't pouches be far cheaper & more environmentally friendly or is it that you would need to replace the packaging machinery & the set up cost is to high?

Cans are recyclable. Not sure if soft plastic pouches are.

Most pouches Ive used are single layer foil type material but yeah there not very hardy, prob cardboard packaging would be required.

The metal / glass is ok but plastic options are not argument doesn't always fly with me, the energy used in making cans/glass from raw materials, through to point of sale (including extra transport energy due to weight of the material) needs to be considered even before you consider the recycling energy's & the % of the materials used that actually get recycled anyway.

Its like the "new cars are more economical so we should all upgrade" spin, energy cost of making a new car completely destroys any gain in fuel economy many times over.

That said, same goes for coopers cans, not energy effective to replace existing equip just because, but good to know they are open to options if / when replacements are required.

• 2 months later...

The problem I find with those is they cut through the top of the lid, leaving very sharp edges on the lid and the can itself. We have one of them but I only used it once, the other one we have cuts it sort of from the side and under the lip. Smooth edges. I'm not one of those safety freaks but I'd rather smooth than sharp edges. 

Dad has an electric one that's better than any of the manual ones but you probably can't get that model anymore. 

Archived