Coopers Community

This arrived Friday

solidute

27 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

Nice!!!!!

Kegging is awesome and you will wonder why you didn’t do it earlier!!

That is an easy answer actually. I was/am broke! Had to homebrew to save money to buy more homebrew gear. Next step is decent size keezer with more kegs and taps then switch from biab to grainfather or robobrew

Yeah 50 bucks a carton of beer is ridiculous. And a more premium beer 70 or so. For 70 bucks you can make a shitload of homebrew.

Bottling still has a place in my brewery for beers I want to age a little or bottle condition ( stouts, Belgians, Saison ). Everything else is kegged and don't know why I didn't do it earlier. Bottling sucks major arse!!

33 minutes ago, Fergy1987 said:

Well I'm definitely jealous of this.........I'm just going to go cry my tears into my 100 bottles null

I was too but a few bargains and here i am. $294 for keg set up 172 for 6kg gas bottle and regulator 

1 hour ago, Gully85 said:

Hanging out need to do a brew day. But will need a Mill now, bits I don't have but need 

I was same boat. Kept putting beer money away each week while brewing so i can upgrade as needed. Had enough bottles to have a steady extract rotation while setting up for biab, then went and got a mill, then bulk grain, now kegs. Next contemplating robobrew or grainfather for the recirc ability to clear wort. Don't want to go 3v or anything for my requirements. Its taken 12 months to get to kegs though

I have the 3v system rims.

I found all the recirculation does is help regulate temp better. Giving you the ease of repeating a recipe exactly each time. I did notice a clearer wort in the mash tun but once into the kettle it was cloudy again

I think a clearer wort is an illusion not sure it helps with making a better beer

Fair enough, I'm still learning so just doing my thing and trying to research as i go to improve. I'm obviously jumping to a few conclusions by the looks of it too. Although switching from gas to electric would have its benefits too

So how do you get clear wort as a BIABer? or is that method just means you end up with not so good beer? 

Ah are you talking about the hot break? etc getting into the FV? yeah that's not good at all

I use whirfloc and whirlpool, let it sit for 15 mins then draw off. I get very little trub in my cube.

Then when transferring to the FV I use a siphon which separates the cold break and cube Hop matter. I get very little stuff other than clear wort in my FV. 

So how do you get clear wort as a BIABer? or is that method just means you end up with not so good beer? 

Ah are you talking about the hot break? etc getting into the FV? yeah that's not good at all

Like the captain said, use a kettle fining like whirlfloc, or my preference Brewbrite, and allow the crap to settle after flameout. Whether or not you whirlpool it is up to you, I don't because I found it worked better not to, but you do end up leaving almost all of the trub behind in the kettle. Yeah the wort isn't crystal clear like a megaswill but it shouldn't be particularly cloudy if that process is done properly either.

I'm going to tinker with whirlpool/no whirlpool.

In the IPA that I brewed on Sunday (big malt bill) I whirlpooled then had the bright idea of whirlpooling again.  Totally pointless and I think it was actually counterproductive.  The wort looked clearer after the first whirlpool than the second!  My theory is that my second whirlpool broke up the larger chunks of protein that had settled out.

Kelsey, I will try a single whirlpool at flameout (which I used to do) and see how the kettle trub cone settles.

And will compare it to a "no whirlpool" at flameout.

A few brews back I had a great compact trub cone and had an overflowing cube full of wort.  Amazing brewhouse efficiency!  So it has happened for me, just need to focus on this particular part of my brew process and nail it.

On 8/14/2018 at 5:21 PM, solidute said:

I was same boat. Kept putting beer money away each week while brewing so i can upgrade as needed. Had enough bottles to have a steady extract rotation while setting up for biab, then went and got a mill, then bulk grain, now kegs. Next contemplating robobrew or grainfather for the recirc ability to clear wort. Don't want to go 3v or anything for my requirements. Its taken 12 months to get to kegs though

It never ends!!

I have kegging gear and a Grainfather and thought that was it.............Now it’s liquid yeasts and water treatment and then I am done...............Until I find something else

FUNNY STORY...

Drilled right through the refrigerant line rendering the fridge dead????

Drilled pilot hole for gas line in no worries drilled big hole for gas line in no worries drill pilot hole for co2 manifold mounting and hiss.... gas everywhere 

Couldn't believe it. On look out for new fridge now. Open to decent chest freezer as that is long term plan anyway

20180815_173517.jpg

20180815_191922.jpg

I just stuck my manifold on with double sided tape. 

Jools I'm wondering if I didn't do the whirlpooling quite right, from reading what others have done they usually let the wort sit for 10-20 minutes before whirlpooling and letting it sit again. I just did it at flameout. My other plan was to get a big stainless bowl and cut the bottom out, drop that in at flameout and try to get the cone to form inside it, away from the tap outlet. But my next plan is to let the wort sit for half an hour after flameout before transferring. Maybe the extra 10 minutes will help settle the trub better.

I will try that method too kelsey, let sit for 10min before whirlpool. How vigorous should the whirlpool be? I'm just suspicious that I am breaking the larger clumps achieved in the last 10min of boil (thanks Whirlfloc) into smaller clumps, thus defeating the purpose

Archived