Coopers Community

Big Juicy IPA

Ryano2

Hi Guys,

So I'm looking for a recipe to make a big fruity/hoppy IPA. 

I'm thinking one of those hoppy/fruity IPA's that people who drink mega swill say "how do you drink that stuff" it tastes like fruit.

I recently tried Capital Brewing Rock Hopper IPA and Bentspoke Crankshaft. Both BIG beers.

Does anyone have an extract or kit recipe that actually tastes good???

Cheers!

my lotso was a hit with a few people on here and my mates were a fan.

1 x APA can

1 x 1kg LDM

1 x 150g dextrose

1 x us05 (rehydrated)

20g cascade, simcoe, citra @ 20mins

20g same @ f/o 10mins

40g galaxy and above mentioned hops dry hopped day 7ish

The original recipe called for 1.5kg ldm which put it around 5-5.5%

ive upped the hops this time and lowered the malt to try get the hop flavour hit.

you could up the dextrose as well to say 250g to get a higher abv closer to 6% for an IPA type.

problem is...once you start adding more hops, it gets expensive. This brew alone will set me back nearly $60...but il get 2 slabs worth (24-28 pet long neck bottles)

Maybe try this one I gave it 4 out of 5 and my notes say dank craft beer. It is simple but tasty.

1 Coopers international lager can

Brew enhancer 3

m42 yeast

boil 500g of the BE3 in 5 liters of water and add for 5 minutes 20g of centennial, simcoe and Amarillo

after 5 minutes remove from the boil and actively cool the wort in a sink and add 60g of centennial and 20g each of Amarillo and simcoe and let steep for 20 minutes.

Once temp has dropped, Add everything to the fermenter and let it go. there are 2 dry hops of 30g of each hop. the first dry hop is done on day 3 and the last dry hop is done after fermentation is complete.

IBUS were stated at 43 but it might of been higher. OG 1.045 FG 1.01

Cheers.

Norris

If you want it true to style you'll need about 2kg extra fermentables, probably 1.5kg dry malt and 500g Dex with the kit. That'll get it up around 6-6.5% bottled. IBUs around the 65-70 mark, if you use a kit for the base bitterness you can add a lot of late hops to achieve that as well as the big flavors. Do a big dry hop, probably around 7g/L, which would be something around 160-170g for the 20 odd litre batch size. Big flavors, big aromas and a good solid malt backbone and you'll be laughing.

Yeah my recipe isn't quite IPA level strength in terms of alcohol level, but it would be considered a nice session IPA, and the 180g dry hop definitely helped it. I used the lager kit because the ibus are pretty high on that kit.

Have fun with it

2 hours ago, Norris! said:

Once temp has dropped, Add everything to the fermenter and let it go. there are 2 dry hops of 30g of each hop. the first dry hop is done on day 3 and the last dry hop is done after fermentation is complete. 

Great minds think alike, or I just got lucky and am right just twice a day like a clock!

For this brew I think I used Ian's spreadsheet. The issue with that spreadsheet is it doesn't do flameout additions so that is why I did the flameout after the temp was below 80c. Beersmith had flameout additions but the ibus for the kits are way off, so I manually adjust the kits in beersmith. For coopers kits if it says 380ibus you go 380÷21 and then divide by the liters of the brew, so 380÷21= about 17 ibus.

1 hour ago, Norris! said:

For this brew I think I used Ian's spreadsheet. The issue with that spreadsheet is it doesn't do flameout additions so that is why I did the flameout after the temp was below 80c. Beersmith had flameout additions but the ibus for the kits are way off, so I manually adjust the kits in beersmith. For coopers kits if it says 380ibus you go 380÷21 and then divide by the liters of the brew, so 380÷21= about 17 ibus.

bugger the brewers friend cal is only designed for extract or grain so no ability to add kit cans or even say 1.5kg malt with 17ibus.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2018 at 1:58 AM, Ryano2 said:

Hi Guys,

So I'm looking for a recipe to make a big fruity/hoppy IPA. 

I'm thinking one of those hoppy/fruity IPA's that people who drink mega swill say "how do you drink that stuff" it tastes like fruit.

I recently tried Capital Brewing Rock Hopper IPA and Bentspoke Crankshaft. Both BIG beers.

Does anyone have an extract or kit recipe that actually tastes good???

Cheers!

How did you go?

I have a kits and bits recipe that tastes sensational, far better than Crankshaft and Rock Hopper (both of which I have tried at the brewery and elsewhere). I have been drinking it for the last few weeks, so good. Tongue-tingling hoppy goodness. 

11l fermenter volume - just double everything if you want to make a bigger batch. 

Mexican Cerveza kit

500g LDM 

200g light crystal malt steeped

25g Centennial @15mins 

50g Centennial @5mins 

75g Centennial @flameout 

75g Centennial dry hop

Kit ale / lager yeast blend (I fermented at lager temps)

Cheers, 

John

37 minutes ago, joolbag said:

John 450g hops for a 23L batch!!! Phwoar. No wonder it was hoppy goodness.

Yet to load a beer with this much hops. Most so far I think 330g

You certainly aren't left thinking 'crap, I should have put more hops in', which is a good thing. Brewman Dealz 225g packs are perfect for this - the Centennial cost me $16.95 I think, plus postage shared among another few packs of the same size.

I am tempted to try another one using Bravo. I have it in my freezer and have heard from a few different sources (Inc PB2) that it is an underrated IPA hop.

But Centennial is hard to beat, I like it better than Mosaic, Nelson, Galaxy, Amarillo etc.

Cheers, 

John

2 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

But Centennial is hard to beat, I like it better than Mosaic, Nelson, Galaxy, Amarillo etc.

I love Centennial, it is probably my favourite hop. It is great on its own or in combination with other hops. My favourite combo is Centennial and Brooklyn (Moutere).

I'm not much of a fan of Nelson; I haven't particularly liked it in most beers I have tried or brewed with it.

Centennial is a mainstay in my freezer, most of the time it ends up in my red ale because I'm busy experimenting with other hops in pale ales, however I have done some of them and an IPA with it which were all very nice, though the IPA could have used more long boiled bitterness. It'll be going into some more when I get back to some hop combos in my pales.

6 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Centennial is a mainstay in my freezer, most of the time it ends up in my red ale because I'm busy experimenting with other hops in pale ales, however I have done some of them and an IPA with it which were all very nice, though the IPA could have used more long boiled bitterness. It'll be going into some more when I get back to some hop combos in my pales.

Yep I aim for 100+ IBU in my recipe above. Any less and with the malt, alcohol and hop sweetness it wouldn't taste right. 

Cheers, 

John 

Archived