Coopers Community

Dextrose and LDME

zacinabox

Hello fellow brewers. Just wanting a little of your combined expertise. I am brewing a semi grain “Sierra Nevada” recipe and it calls for 

1.0kg Beer Improver (500g Light Dried Malt Extract / 500g Dextrose)

2 x 200g Dextrose

-Would you recommend using the Coopers Brew Enhancer, and if so which ones?

- or just go with straight up LDME and dextrose...?

Thank folks ?

10 minutes ago, Hairy said:

What is the full recipe?

It seems to have a lot of dextrose relative to malt.

Hi Hairy!

full recipe-

Ingredients:
• 1.7kg Black Rock Pale Ale Beer Kit
• 1.0kg Beer Improver (500g Light Dried Malt Extract / 500g Dextrose)
• 2 x 200g Dextrose
• 15g Morgan’s Premium American Ale Yeast
• 2 x 12g Cascade Finishing Hops (1 for steeping and 1 for dry hopping)
• 150g Cracked Crystal Grain (steeped)

Method:
1. Clean / sterilize all equipment including fermenter, paddle, mug and jug (used for steeping)
2. Discard Black Rock Pale Ale tin yeast and sit tin in hot water for 10 minutes
3. Boil 1.25ltrs of water in kettle
4. Steep 150g of Cracked Crystal Grain in 1L of boiling water for 15 minutes
5. Steep 12g of Cascade Finishing Hops in 250mls of boiling water for 10 minutes
6. Re-boil kettle with 2.25L of water
7. Add 1.25ltrs of boiled water to fermenter and add 1kg of Beer Improver and 2 x 200g Dextrose and
stir thoroughly until dissolved
8. Add Black Rock Pale Ale tin to fermenter and stir thoroughly to dissolve
9. Pour 500mls of boiled water into the Black Rock Pale Ale tin and stir then add to fermenter
10. Strain steeped Cracked Crystal Grain into the fermenter and rinse with 500mls boiled water (do not
add grain to fermenter)
11. Add cold water to fermenter to 22.5 ltrs and test temperature – make sure it is between 20-24
degrees before pitching yeast
12. Take initial hydrometer reading
13. Add steeped Cascade Finishing Hops bag and mug of water to fermenter
14. Pitch 15g Premium American Ale Yeast and stir gently
15. On day 2 of fermentation add 12g Cascade Finishing Hops bag to fermenter and gently stir in with
sterilized paddle (dry hop)
16. When fermentation is finished check with hydrometer and bottle as per normal.

- found on Aussie Brewmakers website. 

Change the Beer Improver to 1kg malt and you will have a better beer and one closer to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale than the listed recipe.

So:

1.7kg Black Rock Pale Ale

1kg Light Dry Malt

400g Dextrose

I would even go with 1.2kg LDM and 200g dextrose.

But if you want to run with the recipe then buy the ingredients separately and follow it rather than using a Brew Enhancer. 

That is way too much dextrose, it will leave the beer dry and without a lot of body. I agree with Hairys suggestion of 200g of dextrose, it will be a better beer.

The suggestion of boiling the first lot of cascade in water is also kind of flawed. Water will get good extraction but I find it gives harsh tones to the hops, if you are steeping grains you should boil the hops in that. I usually go with 100g of malt for each liter of water for boiling hops.

Norris

8 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Change the Beer Improver to 1kg malt and you will have a better beer and one closer to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale than the listed recipe.

So:

1.7kg Black Rock Pale Ale

1kg Light Dry Malt

400g Dextrose

I would even go with 1.2kg LDM and 200g dextrose.

But if you want to run with the recipe then buy the ingredients separately and follow it rather than using a Brew Enhancer. 

Thank you Hairy!

7 minutes ago, Norris! said:

That is way too much dextrose, it will leave the beer dry and without a lot of body. I agree with Hairys suggestion of 200g of dextrose, it will be a better beer.

The suggestion of boiling the first lot of cascade in water is also kind of flawed. Water will get good extraction but I find it gives harsh tones to the hops, if you are steeping grains you should boil the hops in that. I usually go with 100g of malt for each liter of water for boiling hops.

Norris

Cheers Norris.

How long would you boil the hops for?

The real SNPA is all malt, so I'd keep the dextrose to a minimum, I would run with the 1.2kg dry malt and 200g dextrose suggestion. 900g dextrose is ridiculous, I don't know how they come up with this stuff sometimes. The beer is also not dry hopped however you can if you wish. I doubt you'll notice 12g though. 150g crystal is low, however the kit may well contain some itself so I wouldn't change that.

The instructions are a bit confusing. "Steeping" in boiling water is boiling, proper steeping is like making a cup of tea, the water is boiled but not kept boiling during the steep. Either way I'd do it in wort instead of plain water, and don't throw the steeped hops into the fermenter like it suggests either, there's no need to. I brew a clone of this beer sometimes, similar sized batch, but the Cascade additions total about 90g, with 30g boiled for ten minutes and the rest steeped after the boil for 20 minutes. No dry hop.

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

The real SNPA is all malt, so I'd keep the dextrose to a minimum, I would run with the 1.2kg dry malt and 200g dextrose suggestion. 900g dextrose is ridiculous, I don't know how they come up with this stuff sometimes. The beer is also not dry hopped however you can if you wish. I doubt you'll notice 12g though. 150g crystal is low, however the kit may well contain some itself so I wouldn't change that.

The instructions are a bit confusing. "Steeping" in boiling water is boiling, proper steeping is like making a cup of tea, the water is boiled but not kept boiling during the steep. Either way I'd do it in wort instead of plain water, and don't throw the steeped hops into the fermenter like it suggests either, there's no need to. I brew a clone of this beer sometimes, similar sized batch, but the Cascade additions total about 90g, with 30g boiled for ten minutes and the rest steeped after the boil for 20 minutes. No dry hop.

Thanks Otto! Do you have a full recipe you could pass on? 

The suggestion to steep these hops is good. So bring the wort from the grain step to a boil, once it starts boiling turn off heat and add hops for 15 to 20 minutes. This will add aroma and flavour and some small amount of bitterness.

Perhaps an easier and better solution would be to forget dextrose, brew enhancers etc and simply pair your Black Rock Pale Ale  can up with one of their 1.7kg cans of unhopped liquid malt.  I suggest the "light" or the newer "blonde" which is made from 100% lager malt.  ?  

The bitterness is very low - from memory that can is only around 16 IBU.   Pale Ales are often double that.  Therefore a hop boil might be worth considering also.

After all your feedback I started looking for a different recipe. This one steered clear of the dextrose etc and is more malt extract based. Thoughts?

-2.5kg Liquid Light Malt Extract

-1kg Liquid Light Malt Extract

-1x Caramalt Grain Pack

-20g Northern Brewer Hops (8.8% AA) – 60 min boil

-10g Northern Brewer (8.8% AA) & 20g Cascade Hops (6.8% AA) – 15 min boil

-20g Cascade Hops (6.8% AA) – 0 min boil

-20g Cascade (6.8% AA) – Dry Hop

-Safale US-05, MJ M44 or WY1056 American Ale Yeast

-Whirlfloc/Brewbrite* (Optional)

Procedure:

A day before, place 10-15 litres of water in closed containers in a fridge and chill.

Steep Caramalt Grain Pack for 20-30 mins with 1 litre of hot tap water (not boiling).

Strain liquid into a large saucepan. Rinse grain with another 1 Litre of hot tap water into the saucepan, and discard grain.

Add another 4 litres of water and 1 kg liquid light malt (approx.) to the saucepan, and bring to the boil whilst stirring.

Add 20g Northern Brewer hops.

After boiling for 45 minutes, add 10g Northern Brewer and 20g Cascade. Continue to boil for the last 15 mins.

At the end of the 60 minutes, turn off the heat and add 20g Cascade.

Add the rest of the malts and stir to dissolve. Place the saucepan in a sink of cool water for 10-15 minutes.

Pour the contents of the saucepan into the fermenter, and top up to 23 litres with chilled and tap water to reach a starting temperature of 18-20°C. Stir vigorously to aerate.

Add yeast and ferment as close as possible to 18°C**.

On Day 4 of fermentation, add Dry Hops of 20g Cascade to the fermenter. Bottle or keg when gravity is consistent over two days.

* With 10 minutes left of the boil, it is often desirable to add whirlfloc or brewbrite to help clear your wort.

Thanks again for all your replies. You guys are awesome. ?

That looks a lot closer to an extract version of a SNPA. 

Not saying it’s spot on but a lot closer than the original one you posted, and that one will taste a lot better in my opinion. 

I haven’t run the hops through a calculator but I think you’ll get fairly close, if not a little under shot???

Anyone want to help there? 

and by a pack of Caramalt I’d just assume a 200g approx pack? Which will give you that sweetness that you need with a SNPA. 

Hope she goes well for ya,

Captain

It looks a lot closer other than the northern brewer hops. The real deal is made with Magnum, Perle and of course Cascade. Brew it as is this time though

If you try it again, the hops schedule in the clone I brew is 18g Magnum at 60 mins, 18g Perle at 30 minutes, then 30g Cascade at 10 minutes and finally 60g Cascade at flameout for a 20 minute steep. Adds up to about 37 IBUs.

I wouldn't worry about using Brewbrite or whirlfloc though, these are for all grain brewing. Adding these or something similar would have already been done when the extract was made.

Archived