Coopers Community

Roasting Malts - Tips?

Has anyone roasted there own malt? 

I don't use too much roasted malt in my brewing usually only in a once a year stout and small amounts when I do a Reschs Draught knock off so am usually left with leftovers sitting around. The plan is to just measure out what I need and bake it in the oven.

I have read up online and plan on using a glass pyrex baking dish and 205c for 1 Hour stirring up the grain every 15 mins or so. Then into a paper bag for 2 weeks to mature.

Any tips from anyone who has done it? Was it worth the effort? Come out as you expected?

I haven't done roasted malts but I did read somewhere that it works better in something like a fry pan because oven temps can't get hot enough to really do it properly. However, I'd imagine if you left it in there long enough it would still roast well.

I haven't done any roasted malts but I have made my own crystal malt before. I made a dark crystal from Maris Otter grains, and it turned out somewhere between regular dark crystal and Caraaroma. Very nice malt actually. I'll have to do it again sometime.

• 1 month later...

Archived