Coopers Community

Reactivating Coopers Commercial Ale Yeast

PB2

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

Does anybody know if this will work with a coopers session ale as the starter??? Went to buy a couple tonight to try them, but they had good wraps so grabbed a slab.

And will need some yeast for a brew in a week or two....

• 1 year later...

Is it possible to do this with Coopers cans? I've been buying slabs of the Mild Ale cans because I spend a lot of time out bush. No chance of leaving broken glass around, and cans are lighter and easier as rubbish to bring home again. They fit in my camp fridge better than the bottles, too. 👍

I see that Pale Ale is available in cans now, too.

3 hours ago, GingerNuts81 said:

So use all 6 stubbies in one brew?

Could I use 3 long neck bottles insted? Local has a sale on the PA

Yes, you can. Dan Murphys also has a $20 for 4 Coopers tallies deal at the moment.

5 hours ago, Instigator said:

Is it possible to do this with Coopers cans? I've been buying slabs of the Mild Ale cans because I spend a lot of time out bush. No chance of leaving broken glass around, and cans are lighter and easier as rubbish to bring home again. They fit in my camp fridge better than the bottles, too. 👍

I see that Pale Ale is available in cans now, too.

The lower ABV of the Mild Ale is more desirable for yeast collection purposes but no real problem either with the Pale Ale. I'm generally not a can drinker but am lead to believe the cans are also naturally carbonated via a measured secondary yeast addition. The only problem I could see is issues with extracting all the yeast out of the can due to the catchment points away from the pour opening point of the can.

A bottle is much easier (IMHO).

Just my 2 cents,

Lusty.

• Like 1

Given I buy the Mild Ale cans anyway, it would save me some money on buying stubbies/tallies just for starters. I decided the easiest way to find out is to give it a try. I downed a couple of cans with dinner, so I now have a small test starter under way. 👍

1 minute ago, Instigator said:

Given I buy the Mild Ale cans anyway, it would save me some money on buying stubbies/tallies just for starters. I decided the easiest way to find out is to give it a try. I downed a couple of cans with dinner, so I now have a small test starter under way. 👍

Hopefully you took heed of PB2's instructions particularly about compacting the yeast by leaving the beer in the fridge for approx. a week & then the careful decanting process that follows to harvest enough yeast.

If you go at this yeast re-activation half-arsed, you'll only reduce the chances of a successful brew.

Cheers & best of luck with re-activating the yeast successfully. It's a terrific strain to have at your disposal.

Lusty.

5 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Hopefully you took heed of PB2's instructions particularly about compacting the yeast by leaving the beer in the fridge for approx. a week & then the careful decanting process that follows to harvest enough yeast.

Yes, sir, I did. I usually have a six pack or two in the fridge and these have been in for a week or so. I don't expect to pitch this, just having a look to see how I go using cans instead of bottles. Thanks for the good wishes. 🍻

Matt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, karlos_1984 said:

Sip n Save does 6 pale long necks for $25

At least ONE Sip'N'Save does.

Sip'N'Save venues are independently owned & can charge whatever they like on non-promotional lines.

Cheers,

Lusty.

On 5/19/2019 at 12:32 PM, Beerlust said:

At least ONE Sip'N'Save does.

Sip'N'Save venues are independently owned & can charge whatever they like on non-promotional lines.

Cheers,

Lusty.

You're shopping at the wrong one then lusty

No such luck for tallies that cheap here in Cairns ( that I know of).

Anyway, my Mild Ale can yeast test is starting to show some progress, albeit very slowly. I initially slowly poured the cans into a 10oz glass and the rest got a swish before going into the container. Two cans + 30g raw sugar + 300ml boiled water (cooled). After two and a half days the container is building pressure and there's more sediment on the bottom before I give it a shake.