Coopers Community

The Coopers Czech Pils recipe

On 9/20/2018 at 3:59 PM, #granted+brew said:

...Just wondering also what other styles of beer can Saaz be used with with good results?

I can vouch for it in a Saison. It's main attribute is spiciness with a light lemon aroma/flavour (I find). If you factor that in, then you could certainly use it in a lot of beer types depending on whether you wanted those attributes or not.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I drank my last Coopers Czech Pilsner today while having our first beach day of the season with SWMBO and the kids. 

It was 61 days in the bottle, with 45 of those at lagering temperature. It really was a pleasure to drink. It definitely got better with age and so too did the head retention. 

I'll be having another go at the recipe again in mid November when i get back from a fishing trip over to Yalata but will lift the ABV up above 5% and adding a few extra grams of Saaz in a boil perhaps.

Next time I'm not going to start opening them until 45 days or more.....

Cheers, Lee

Good stuff mate. Lagering definitely improves these types of beer. I have a pilsner in the fermenter at the moment which has been at 3 degrees since last Sunday or Monday and will be in there another week before I keg it and stick that in the kegerator for another 5-6 weeks before it's tapped. The waiting sucks but it's so worth it in the end.

Archived