Coopers Community

Recipe difficulty rating

Hey.gringo

Hello, just had a suggestion for the website would have made my life a bit easier and may help others too. 

I’ve now got a craft fv and am planning to do 2 recipes at a time, a 23L and a 8.5L. I’m usually steeping some grains and doing a short boil so plan is to do that as usual and pick another non boil recipe to get going during that dead time. 

Ive had to go through and save recipes locally to put them in these boil/no boil categories. Was thinking on the recipe page it’d be useful to have a filter for difficulty easy/moderate/difficult. 

Sure all these things are thought through by smarter people than me, just a suggestion. 

Cheers

Neil

• 4 months later...
On 7/22/2018 at 6:18 AM, Hey.gringo said:

Hello, just had a suggestion for the website would have made my life a bit easier and may help others too. 

I’ve now got a craft fv and am planning to do 2 recipes at a time, a 23L and a 8.5L. I’m usually steeping some grains and doing a short boil so plan is to do that as usual and pick another non boil recipe to get going during that dead time. 

Ive had to go through and save recipes locally to put them in these boil/no boil categories. Was thinking on the recipe page it’d be useful to have a filter for difficulty easy/moderate/difficult. 

Sure all these things are thought through by smarter people than me, just a suggestion. 

Cheers

Neil

Hey Gringo

Check out the attached spreadsheet.  

If you know how to use Auto Filter just select the 'Blanks' option in columns Grains1 and Grains2 and there will be a list of the 109 'no boil' recipes.  

You can further filter it according to brew volume by selecting the 8.5, 9.0, 9.5, 10 litre check boxes in the Volume column which will further reduce the list to 51 recipes.  

For the large fermenter simply uncheck the 8.5, 9.0, 9.5, 10 litre check boxes in the Volume column which will then list the 58 recipes with volumes of 18 liters or more. 

Filtering the Grains columns is much more accurate than using the Difficulty levels as the Difficulty levels are not specific to the use of Grains.

PS : If you don't know how to use Auto Filter I can give you a brief guide.

Cooper's Recipes.xlsx

This is awesome! Thanks v much for sharing! 

I'm not great with excel so don't know exactly what you mean by auto filter but just selecting from those drop down menus seems to do the job if thats what you meant? Great having all the yeast/kit hops and different make up of BE1 etc all in 1 place too : )

Good work!!

Yeah, the drop down menus are the auto filters.   

To turn them off and return the sheet to its original state  choose Data from the top menu and Filter (at least that's what you do in 2007 Excel)  And to bring the arrows back do the same thing, Data from the top menu and select Filter.

It's worth experimenting with the filters.  If click an arrow and choose Number Filters you get a lot of different options like Greater Than and Less Than,  Between, etc that allows you for customize the filter.  If you apply many filters and don't seem to be able to get back to the full list just turn the filters off.

None of it is protected so you can change anything.  I have made a couple of errors.  For example you will find I have used Mexican Cerveza and just Cerveza in the base kit descriptions, and bother Preacher's Hefe Wheat and just Hefe Wheat.  To fix it choose the Base Kit filter/ uncheck Select All/ tick the check boxes for both Cerveza and Mexican Cerveza/ then manually make them read the same so that the auto filter will catch them .  Do the same for the Wheats. 

There are no quantities because they are in the recipes and they are accessed by just clicking on the recipe name on the spreadsheet. 

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 5:56 PM, PB2 said:

Agreed.  It was supposed to be in there but I think either the geeks ran out of time in order to meet "go live" or we ran out of allocated funds.

Next iteration, with any luck?!

Can you not at least make this post a sticky at the top of the Recipe Forum?  This is priceless!!  And I've been Brewing Coopers and lurking here since …. I don't know when and have only just found this!!

I am stoked that others find it useful.   
This attached version (1.2) includes Enterprise Lager and Pavlova Pale Ale.

You can update your own sheet or add you own recipes easy enough as the spreadsheet is unprotected.

I will add the recipes of the month to subsequent versions when they are released. 

Coopers Recipes v1.2.xlsx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Richardau said:

Hi there,

The spreadsheet is awesome, so many choices 😄

However, some abbreviations are not obvious to me 😞

i.e.

UHME - Golden and Pale?

Of course, once someone answers, there will be facepalming here 😄

Thanks, Richard

UHME= Unhopped malt extract i'd say

If you click on the recipe name and look at what the recip contains you should be able to work out the abbreviations.

Cheers,
Hoppy

Richardau, 

I am not sure if v1.1 had it but the last version has a Legend tab on the Spreadsheet that deciphers the abbreviations.

That latest version (v1.3) is attached which includes the K9 Quencher and California Riptide Pale Ale recipes.  It also includes a Sheet 1 tab which is the beginnings of an index of the receipes on the Mr.Beer website.  I am not sure that I can translate the American ingredients into Australian equivalents.  Might be too hard - or misleading. 

Coopers Recipes v1.3.xlsx

Hey Guv,

I can calculate the stubby and carton costs easy enough but I will need to get rid of the asterix in the OG column if you want it to auto calculate the Alc/Vol  as it will prevent the formula for  from working.

In each new line when you enter Volume and $-Total the stubby and carton price will be automatically calculated.

I could do the same for Alc/Vol but you have to get rid of the *.        What do they mean anyhow ?  

Test sheet attached with stubby and carton formulas installed.

1615776387_BrewDetails2018.xlsx

13 hours ago, James of Bayswater said:

Hey Guv,

I can calculate the stubby and carton costs easy enough but I will need to get rid of the asterix in the OG column if you want it to auto calculate the Alc/Vol  as it will prevent the formula for  from working.

In each new line when you enter Volume and $-Total the stubby and carton price will be automatically calculated.

I could do the same for Alc/Vol but you have to get rid of the *.        What do they mean anyhow ?  

Test sheet attached with stubby and carton formulas installed.

Thanks heaps James , the * is beer smith estimate for gravity as i forget to take a reading some tim times

regards Guvna

OK. I have removed the asterix from the OG column and now the Alc/Vol is automatically calculated.  However the formula is returning slightly different figures to what was on your original sheet.  The formula I have used is OG-FG/0.00746. 

The formulas are visible in the formula (fx) bar above the spreadsheet.  I have coloured the columns containing formulas yellow and protected them (so you can't over type by mistake).  You type to any other cell other than those coloured yellow.  

To see the formulas in action type in an OG, an FG, a Volume and a Total Cost and formulas will calculate the yellow cells.

Revised spreadsheet attached.

Cheers.

Archived