Coopers Community

Coopers in a can

The Captain!!

47 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

So had an email from coopers saying that the last ale ale is going to be in a can, no call me stupid but I thought Dr Tim’s was pale ale in a can? Well that’s what all my south aust mates say it is. I’ve never tried it. 

Captain

the last ale ale ?

On 7/20/2018 at 4:54 PM, The Captain1525230099 said:

So had an email from coopers saying that the last ale ale is going to be in a can, no call me stupid but I thought Dr Tim’s was pale ale in a can? Well that’s what all my south aust mates say it is. I’ve never tried it. 

Captain

Shesus I must have had a couple to many last night with all those spelling mistakes. WOW!

What I was asking is, isn’t Dr Tim’s the original pale ale in a can? Or is that Dr Tim’s something different all together. 

Captain 

It's been my understanding that Dr. Tim's has always been Pale Ale in a can, or in essence, as close as it can be.

My take on it is that it is a marketing strategy due to the vast difference in sales of Coopers Pale Ale (in the bottle) vs Coopers Dr. Tim's (in the can), particularly in recent years.

A good move by Coopers I think, & I wish them well with the shift.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• 1 month later...

Yep really enjoyed my case of the Session Ale cans when it first came out. Slowly working my way through my case of ESVA at the moment, then will probably grab a case of the pale cans. I really enjoyed the case of 440ml Dr Tim's cans I bought ages ago now, so if it tastes like that, all good. Personally I prefer rolling the can to get a little bite from the yeast, it's too sweet for me otherwise. 

Cheers, 

John

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Silmaril said:

The guide was in favour of the can as a vessel though. 

There’s no doubt in my mind what so ever that the can is better for beer. Do I like drinking out of a can? No I don’t. I always decanter into a glass. Unless I’m at a festival or the like. 

Good to here that from the guide though. Cements my thoughts on the beer. 

• 1 month later...

When chatting to a few people working at bottlos even they were surprised when I told them Dr Tims was just Pale Ale in a can, one didn't believe me and asked who told me. Dr Tim Cooper was the answer!

As a test my friends and I bought a 6 pack of Dr Tims and pale ale and did a blind test. They're both the same. I would say 98% the same. Difference in taste could be attributed to age of brew, or some minor minor tweaking by the brewery.

I hope (and suspect) the other ales will end up in the can too, if current sales are anything to go by.

22 hours ago, Soundawake said:

I hope (and suspect) the other ales will end up in the can too, if current sales are anything to go by.

Well pale, mild and session ales have all followed suit. I'd gladly see the term of "red tins" be replaced with sparkling in a can. Will make camping and fishing a bit dangerous though...

On 10/28/2018 at 3:05 PM, karlos_1984 said:

Well pale, mild and session ales have all followed suit. I'd gladly see the term of "red tins" be replaced with sparkling in a can. Will make camping and fishing a bit dangerous though...

....is it less dangerous in the bottle? ?

Note to oneself: Pack bottles on next camping or fishing trip, not cans. ?

?

Cheers,

Lusty.

I knew what you meant Karlos. I was just kidding around mate. ?

I agree with you about the Sparkling Ale on a camping/fishing trip.

Definitely a beer to drink at the end of a day out there, not one I'd advise to session drink throughout a long day. I've attempted this feat a few times & found the days ended up a lot shorter than originally planned. ?

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

All good. I love sparklings. I've seen mates who weren't schooled up on their potential, neck a fair few in the sun whilst taking turns on the ski biscuit on a hot day...didn't make the bbq dinner that night and we're shot ducks haha.

In saying that, dunno if I'd take on a box of original red tins in the sun whilst wetting a line for the whole day. Much better options out there ?

Archived