Coopers Community

11L batches

Ryano2

Hey guys,

I am thinking about getting a small 11L glass carboy to experiment with a beer recipes.

I'm just wondering can you just halve all of the extract recipes? Or what's the best way to make smaller batches?

I see Coopers have a heap of 9-11L batches with tins you can order from them? But I'm wondering what I can use if I head down to the local HBS.

My batches are about 9-11L. Basically I quickly moved to all grain because it's way easier to halve a grain bill than it is to halve tins of extracts and bags of powder... And you can easily brew up that much wort on a kitchen stovetop.

One thing you can do, if you are just experimenting a bit, is chuck in a whole can of something lightly hopped (like a draught or lager) and use it in a style that would be twice as bitter and a bit darker (like an ale). You'll probably want to dry hop it or add a hop tea, because the hop additions in kits don't provide much flavour, but it does work. I used a real ale kit pretty much on its own to make a very drinkable stout when I was strapped for time.

46 minutes ago, jeremy-o said:

My batches are about 9-11L. Basically I quickly moved to all grain because it's way easier to halve a grain bill than it is to halve tins of extracts and bags of powder... And you can easily brew up that much wort on a kitchen stovetop.

One thing you can do, if you are just experimenting a bit, is chuck in a whole can of something lightly hopped (like a draught or lager) and use it in a style that would be twice as bitter and a bit darker (like an ale). You'll probably want to dry hop it or add a hop tea, because the hop additions in kits don't provide much flavour, but it does work. I used a real ale kit pretty much on its own to make a very drinkable stout when I was strapped for time.

Now you have me thinking, a good way to start BIAB. This I could do in small batches

I used a can of real ale, 500g LDM, with a hop tea of 25g each of Centennial and Citra, made up to 12 ltrs with rehydrated kit yeast. Dry hopped with a further 25g each of Centennial and Citra. It's awesome. It's been in the bottle just over 3 weeks now and I'm loving it. It's sort of somewhere between a Cooper's ESVA and a Celebration ale I rkn. Ended up just over 6% ABV. 

Archived