Coopers Community

Yeast strains vs extracts

Efilnikufesin

I thought I’d start this thread because apart from being completely ignorant on this subject , I am also in need of a solution to a quandary i’ve Got myself in . Details are at the end of the innkeepers daughter thread . But long story short I need a dry yeast suitable for brewing the Sparkling ale recipe.  

Beerlust gave me some great tips , among others , however I have yeast on hand but don’t know if it’s suitable. 

Cheers ? 

12 hours ago, Hairy said:

What do you want from the yeast? 

Clean yeast, English yeast with esters, an all-rounder that is more temperature tolerant?

This is the thing , I don’t know what to ask of a yeast . From what I understand thus far is that certain yeasts fit with certain beers . OTTO says ale yeasts make ales , lager yeasts make lagers . If that’s all there is to it why the interest in liquid/ commercial/ yeasts , different strains etc ? 

9 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Why dry? Go the original yeast. Buy a six pack of coopers pale ale and culture it. There is a thread on here if you run a search. Great yeast and gives the authentic flavour. Just follow the steps and you will have the yeast which is perfect to style.

A dry yeast fits with my kit and current skill set , I am at ground level . I am yet to attempt a culture . 

8 minutes ago, Efilnikufesin said:

This is the thing , I don’t know what to ask of a yeast . From what I understand thus far is that certain yeasts fit with certain beers . OTTO says ale yeasts make ales , lager yeasts make lagers . If that’s all there is to it why the interest in liquid/ commercial/ yeasts , different strains etc ? 

Each strain influences the flavor differently. Some favor hops, some favor malt, some are neutral, some provide esters and phenols, some produce crisp beers while others produce beers with more body etc. Different fermentation temps bring out different flavors from the same strain as well. That's why we use different strains/fermentation temps in different beers. 

For example, I currently have two ale strains I use. A neutral American strain for hoppy beers like pale ales and the odd IPA (fermented cooler to accentuate the hops and to a lesser extent the malt), and an English strain for the English ales where I want a bit of fruit from the yeast (ferment a bit warmer) as well as other maltier styles (ferment cooler to subdue the yeast influence but accentuate the malt). 

When startig out it is best to match the yeast based on the style of beer you are making. Do some searches on a particular style (e.g. American Pale Ale) and the type of yeast used (e.g. a clean neutral yeast like US-05, M44 or BRY-97).

If your searched for Australian Sparkling Ale then you would probably find that you should use the recultured Coopers yeast as suggested by Greeny.

But if you want a dry yeast for the Sparkling Ale (other than the kit yeast) then perhaps try Danstar Nottingham. It has a good temperature tolerance too, especially if it gets a little cool during winter.

Ok Thanks Guys ! Guess I better get into a few searches and learn to culture. I’ll leave it at that and do some homework, currently a bit gobsmacked though that brewers have not just identified these different strains of microbes but that they know what best to use them for . Outstanding !

Cheers ?

4 hours ago, Efilnikufesin said:

I’ll leave it at that and do some homework, currently a bit gobsmacked though that brewers have not just identified these different strains of microbes but that they know what best to use them for . Outstanding !

Cheers ?

Yep gone of the days where the family passed down the “lucky” paddle.

It wasn’t lucky persay. Just had heaps of yeast growing all over it. 

The megabreweries poor a lot of money into research on these kind of things including hops. We should all be greatful for the yeast companies like white labs and Wyeast that have singled out these strains and culture these for us at a “reasonable” price.

Good luck with your research. If your into podcasts, the BeerSmith podcast is quite good for brewing knowledge. 

Captain

Archived