Coopers Community

Brut IPA

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Norris! said:

Do you always dry hop after CC or just depends?

Nah usually I throw them in and cold crash at the same time but this time I didn’t want to dry hop for 10 or 11 days so I just waited. It’s not ideal but it’ll have to do this time

• 3 weeks later...

So........ tasting time. Been in the bottle a couple of weeks now.

First up, dryness? It’s dry but only a little drier than my standard pale ale brew. Even though it’s dry there’s still a tiny bit of mouthfeel straight up then it deminishes quickly.

Aroma: white wine, herbal, slightly fruity

Taste: straight up herbal, probably a bit too much, hints of passion fruit, stone fruit and slightly white wine if you hunt for it. Pepper. No malt basically.

Head stays around and some good lacing. Probably not carbed enough, I was just a bit cautious of bottle bombs.

Ibu’s are spot on for my tastes. Maybe not IPA territory but close. Maybe, I don’t know.

Overall to my tastes, it’s not bad but it’s not great, drinkable, however probably not something I’d brew again. I’m glad I did though.

In comparison to the only Brut IPA I’ve had I actually prefer mine, the commercial one was “cleaner” tasting but not as much character. The mittelfrueh is shining through in this one.

Ive had three glasses of it while tasting this beer and it’s growing on me. Still not great but better than megaswill. 

After ive ragged this beer I’m betting my wife will say she likes it and will want me to brew it again. Ha ha ha ha

Captain

6342C872-1ECB-48EA-9C1A-BD67D446285A.jpeg

been watching this for a while...nice looking beer.

I felt the same way about stouts...glad i gave it a shot, but still have half a batch untouched...that i feel may end up in the sink ?

Im heading to Mornington Peninsula brewery on the weekend and they have a Brut on tap...so be interested to try it...however at 7.8%...gonna be a pot me thinks

Mornington peninsula brewery is one of my favourite breweries out of Vic. They have some tasty beverages.  

7.8% is a decent IPA. But yes, dangerous. 

You’ll find the beer drinkable for sure, there just won’t be too much going on with it malt wise. It’s all about what hops they’ll be using. 

I was never really a stout fan either, then I started finding ones with less astringent qualities which I started liking. I’ve based my stout around this. It’s a clean dark beer with subtle hints of coffee. 

Anyway, hope you enjoy the Brut, if not I’m sure you’ll find many others there to fill you loins. 

Captain

Nice beer. Decent bitterness, great hop flavour and aroma. Lingering sweetness which is odd I guess. I wonder if it is real sweetness or hop flavour. Definite winey smell. Can taste carbonic acid maybe? Sharp flavour in there somewhere. The lingering sweetness is interesting, I wonder where that comes from.

Great beer. Thanks for the effort and the gift.

Thanks @Ben 10 My pleasure to send you some beers for tasting. 

Lingering sweetness. I pulled another one out a had another sample. I get what you mean, I think that is hop flavour as I get dryness fairly quickly. 

Carbonic acid..... yeah really not sure mate. Can’t say I know what that is.

The question still remains to be answered though Ben????? Did you drink the second one?

Captain

9 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Did you drink the second one?

Yeah had them both.

Carbonic acid is also what makes Great Northern taste different to water. At a guess the dryness is allowing some bit from the carbonation to show itself...

4 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

Carbonic acid is also what makes Great Northern taste different to water. 

Ha ha ha ok I get it now, but it’s the beer from your way mate ha ha terrible stuff. 

4 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

Yeah had them both.

Well that’s the test right there. Glad it was ok enough to have the second.

• 4 weeks later...

When I picked up the 6 beers I listed in the "Friday Night Six Pack" thread recently, I saw the Brut IPA on the shelves & almost picked it up. But given the less than flattering reviews by a few of you, I went for some beers with a little more forward character.

Ben 10's Rosella Saison is in this ballpark & was absolutely terrific. Above everything else the colour was sensational. The "Brut" champagne link ferment & Saison strain are very similar with the dryness they create. I think the next time I shout myself a mixed commercial 6pk I'll have to pick up one of these & compare it with Benny's beer.

I'm betting Benny's will shite all over it.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived