Coopers Community

Brut IPA

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Norris! said:

How is the fermenter smelling? Is that a weird question?

I’m at work Norris so I have no idea. I fly back Tuesday night and hope it is finished but maybe not. Who knows. I’d ask my wife but she’d just say “yeah, it smells”.

Ah the helpful wife's critiques. Mine has become a lot better with her descriptions...I just keep hounding her until she yells citrus! It smells like citrus! That usually gets me off her back...unless I used some hop like northern brewer and then I know she is just bsing me.

Hey guys I chanced across Sauce's You Bruty! Brut IPA on Saturday night.  I was at the Bank Hotel, Newtown and they had it on tap in the beer garden.

Just had to have a 1/2 pint of it (Only half because I had been at the Young Henry's brewery tour all afternoon and with that tour I got 8 midis).

It was not what i expected.  I expected a very dry, champagne-like beer.  Well the texture and mouthfeel was bang on, but Sauce had overloaded it with so much hops (as they do!) that it just tasted like a really hoppy, not so bitter IPA with a dry finish.

Interesting, glad I had one.  Would I brew 22.5L of it... never say never, but it's not on my TO BREW list for the next 6 months at least.

B899BF25-32EF-4AEB-9066-6AF054307BA1.jpeg

Nice one Joolbag.

i look forward to seeing one commercially so I can try one but I’m really not sure I will anytime soon. 

So, I’ve got back from work and it looks like it’s had a massive krausen. Plus looks fermented out, turned up the temp a few degrees and will test in the morning before a dry hop. 

I added the enzyme when I pitched the yeast. But it looks like it has stalled at 1.011

Well that’s probably where it would have got without the enzyme. So not sure what’s going on there. I may have to add some more yeast. 

The sample still tasted sweet.

Captain

Yeah I did read it. I remember it getting really low too.

I haven’t finished with it yet, hopefully I’ll get it lower than it is now. I think I may have not pitched enough yeast to start. 

I’ll think it over over the next few hours as to what I’m going to do with it. 

Laughing in a "I hope you didn't" way.  I should of just said I hope it goes well.  At least your mistakes, possible mistake, make some sense, some of mine are like "what the f$"* was I thinking?!" type of mistakes. I wont even bring up ruining a batch of beer because I wanted to reuse a .25 hop sack over and over. Or the....well to get it.

I am sure you didn't.

I’m only taking the piss Norris. If I stuffed it I stuffed it. 

I believe the other beer got so low because of the yeast I pitched. Using Kelsey’s reusing method. It was a massive starter with good healthy yeast I would have expected it to get a little lower than normal just not that low. 

There’s still a fair krausen on top of the beer so it could possibly still be fermenting. I’m sure the enzyme doesn’t break down long chain sugars that quickly so I expected it to take a little longer to ferment I just thought it would be lower than it is right now. 

If no change tomorrow I’m going to bash some yeast in it.

17 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

I’m not sure why @Beerlust and @Norris!are laughing. This could be disappointing to say the least. ?

I was only laughing at the comment, not the predicament. ?

I'd certainly give it a little more time than usual as the yeast are being asked to ferment out more sugars than they would in a standard brew.

Much like fermenting a higher gravity brew in that respect, it just takes a bit longer for the primary ferment to finish.

Fingers crossed it all turns out well. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived