Coopers Community

Brut IPA

So I thought I’d start a thread on Brut IPA seen as it’s something that will probably be on everyone’s to do list this coming summer.

Mine included.

After a lot of research I’ve come up with the following recipe for a 40l crown urn biab system with my techniques.I’ll explain those below.

Most recipes I’ve seen are Pilsner based however I’ve chosen B.B. pale malt as it’s what I have and i find it very similar to Pilsner malt. 

The boil hops are thrown in commando at 15 mins. 

The steep 15 mins is steeping in a hop sock for 15 mins and removing from the wort. I also move this around tea bagging style to try and move wort through the bag. 

Steep 10 mins are cube hops at 82 degrees. 

This’ll be my first crack when I can track down some of the enzyme. And I’m sure there will be adjustments following tasting on further batches. 

Let us know your thoughts. 

67128385-F52D-4471-9C53-E17141289265.png

9653C548-CE75-44D6-BEDE-356E5CFE846C.png

A87A33F9-D861-422D-AD3A-3EF0818D9A6A.png

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome Cap. This made me have a read and it was interesting. This sounds like something I might like!

The Nelson Sauvin should be awesome in this, but what are you going for with the hallertau mittlefrueh? The floral aroma? I am just interested I am not having a dig.

I wonder if this is what Lusty was going for?

Have a read if anyone is unsure what a Brut IPA is, very cool. http://www.thebeerscholar.com/beer-scholar-cicerone-blog/2018/3/28/brut-ipa-from-san-francisco-is-it-the-next-big-thing-how-to-make-it

Way to go Captain!

Norris

I see you also are carbonating it up to about 3.4 to 3.5 which will make it nice and bubbly. Dude! I think you have a well thought out recipe, especially since I have never even heard of this type of beer, am I a hermit?

2 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

Ok. WHY?

Well I figure Ben that being a new emerging style that there may be some interest in this sort of beer. 

I know a few of my mates are trying to get hold of some from somewherebut no body over here in the West is doing any of these yet that can be found on the shelves. Some may have brewed this before, some may have tasted this style and may have some input into what they persieved when tasting. 

Others may not be into this sort of thing. I’m not sure I’ll dig it myself but hey, why not give it a crack. 

Kirk

I saw a recipe for Brut IPA in the latest beer and brewer magazine.  My brewing buddy asked if I was interested in brewing one.

I think not at this point.  Perhaps I need to try a can of the Brut IPA that is kicking around some of the better bottle shops.  It doesn't sound like something I will like, but I will reserve final judgement until I can taste it in the glass.

Interestingly concept and I do like that brewers and breweries are pushing the style envelope and trying some crazy things with beer.  Certainly innovative and an attempt to capture some of that lucrative cider market.

That’s a fair point Joolbag. 

The garage project from NZ have been doing a similar style beer that is finished off with champagne yeast and has been in circulation for a couple of years. Similar style but of course the Americans invented it ha ha ha. 

Captain

2 hours ago, Norris! said:

Awesome Cap. This made me have a read and it was interesting. This sounds like something I might like!

The Nelson Sauvin should be awesome in this, but what are you going for with the hallertau mittlefrueh? The floral aroma? I am just interested I am not having a dig.

I wonder if this is what Lusty was going for?

Have a read if anyone is unsure what a Brut IPA is, very cool. http://www.thebeerscholar.com/beer-scholar-cicerone-blog/2018/3/28/brut-ipa-from-san-francisco-is-it-the-next-big-thing-how-to-make-it

Way to go Captain!

Norris

Mittlefrueh is exactly for that reason Norris. 

I read that article you linked and I found it interesting. I know of other places that have brewed this kind of beer well before the guys at San Fran, however who cares really. 

As a lot of the hops are added after the boil,  it’s a beer that will need to be enjoyed fresh just like a NEIPA. 

Im really not sure I’ll enjoy the beer but I think it’s worth having a crack to see if I do. 

Plus it’s pushing my comfort zone a little in recipe design. There will not be much to hide behind I think.

Captain

2 hours ago, Norris! said:

I see you also are carbonating it up to about 3.4 to 3.5 which will make it nice and bubbly. Dude! I think you have a well thought out recipe, especially since I have never even heard of this type of beer, am I a hermit?

Hey mate, I’m pretty sure it’ll be more like 3

But yeah quite bubbly. And that’s the point I think

kirk

2 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

I feel the same Hairy. But if I can’t find a commercial one I’ll just brew it myself to see if I can have 20 odd litres of beer I really don’t want ha ha ha

Kirk

that's what friends are for! I have friends who will drink anything so a batch that is not to my tastes can be moved on quickly n easily. The problem is getting my bottles back. And usually not to my standard of clean

3 hours ago, joolbag said:

that's what friends are for! I have friends who will drink anything so a batch that is not to my tastes can be moved on quickly n easily. The problem is getting my bottles back. And usually not to my standard of clean

I’m starting to train my mates. If I don’t get em back clean......... no beer

3 hours ago, joolbag said:

The cigarette butts just add to the flavour of the next batch...

Just make sure to fish the cigarette butts out first. A mate of mine got a nice surprise at a party one night when I'd put a cigarette butt in what I thought was an empty can, or empty enough - it had been sitting there for some time untouched and had SFA in it. At some point later he went to have a swig out of it for some reason and got a mouthful of yuck. ?

14 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

I’m starting to train my mates. If I don’t get em back clean......... no beer

yes, someone mentioned this earlier and i've been implementing this strategy!  it works

i think i understand the premise behind it...read one of the articles about it...

Its a IPA thats low bitterness, dry style, but high flavour and bubbly? Is that right?

Im curious behind the reason for the style... is it to make the "heavier styles" (ie IPA) easier to drink and more sessionable?

Im personally not a huge fan of the NEIPA style...dont like the silkyness/lactose mouthfeel in the beers...but this could be something different...i suppose?

Archived