Coopers Community

The innkeepers daughter

I just ordered a tin of coopers innkeepers daughter ale for my next brew. I notice it uses 1.5 kilo of light dry malt for the 23 litre brew . I imagine that is to up the alcohol content in the beer . I just want to enquire if anyone has brewed it before , and what you thought of it . Will only be my third brew , so very open to any advice . Just have the basic coopers kit , fermenting at room temp . 

Cheers ? 

Edited by Efilnikufesin
Incorrect spelling

17 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

That was my plan too, but I only did about half a dozen kits then moved into extract and bittering it myself for a few months and then all grain. It can be a slippery slope ?

Knowing myself as I do , I’m going to get sick of bottling pretty quickly. Once I find a beer I can produce and enjoy easily I’ll want to move to a keg . My Dad gave me about 15-20 cartons of home brew coopers years ago , they had been sitting in his shed for nearly two years . It is still to this day some of the best beer I have ever tasted . I want that again ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beerlust said:

The Inkeepers Daughter kit makes a lovely malt driven beer modelled on Coopers commercial Sparkling Ale. I kegged a batch of the DIY Sparkling Ale recipe about 7-8 weeks ago & finished the last of it just recently.

A very enjoyable beer. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

I love this recipe , since I already ordered the extract and malt I might as well give it a go ! Will go with dry yeast though , not at the ‘ reactivate commercial yeast stage yet’. Only major problem I can see is fermentation temp . Recommend 21 degrees . Best I can get stable is 22-24 . Of course I could run the aircon 24/7 at 18 degrees ! ?. Be a pretty bloody expensive brew once the power bill comes in though ! ?

appreciate the link ! Cheers ? 

Sit the fermenter in a sink or tub with water and add ice as needed with a wet towel around it. In the summer I can get down to 18c and keep it there for the 2 to 5 days it needs until I let it rise to ambient by taking it out of the bath or removing the water, to let the yeast clean up.

Norris

13 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Look at getting a fridge and temp controller for fermentation before you worry about kegs. Then you can ferment at any temperature without running up huge bills on AC. It'll go a fair way towards achieving that great beer you're chasing. 

Agreed . (The aircon bit was my strange humor .) As a lager fan this would appear to be a must , and I’m already on the look out ! Got to do a bit of homework on a temp controller though , I don’t know how that set up works as yet . 

Edited by Efilnikufesin
Bad spelling

4 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Sit the fermenter in a sink or tub with water and add ice as needed with a wet towel around it. In the summer I can get down to 18c and keep it there for the 2 to 5 days it needs until I let it rise to ambient by taking it out of the bath or removing the water, to let the yeast clean up.

Norris

Pretty neat ! I work long hours though so I think the fridge option would suit me better ! 

• Like 1

This kit is pretty good when pimped up. The last one i did was as follows

Coopers Innkeepers Sparkling can
800g malt
300g medium crystal
300g dextrose
100g maltodextrin
30g cascade and galaxy @ 10mins
30g cascade and galaxy @ 5mins
30g cascade and galaxy @dry hop

US05 + kit yeast rehydrated
26lt 4.2 %

Cheers, 

Hoppy

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Efilnikufesin said:

Agreed . (The aircon bit was my strange humor .) As a lager fan this would appear to be a must , and I’m already on the look out ! Got to do a bit of homework on a temp controller though , I don’t know how that set up works as yet . 

Some do use air conditioned rooms for fermentation. Expensive but there you go. 

Temp controllers are easy. Plug it into the wall, plug the fridge into it, tape the temp probe to the side of the fermenter under some foam, then set the fermentation temp and how far you want to allow it to warm up before it kicks the fridge back in. Then just relax while it does its thing.

• Like 1

You can buy temp controllers online that you need to wire up yourself or you can get ones ready to go (i.e. plug & play). The latter cost a bit more but if electrical wiring isn't your thing at least you won't get 240v running through you.

Depending on where you live, you may need a heating option too. If so, may sure you get the unit that controls the frdge and a heating element.

Edited by Hairy

Yeah, I got the one you wire yourself, it's pretty easy but like Hairy said if you're not confident doing that stuff there are pre wired ones available. May get one of them for my second fridge I'll be getting next year to save time mucking around wiring it. 

I normally set mine to a 0.3 degree variance, so for an ale at 18, it only warms up to 18.3 before the fridge comes on to bring it down again. With the probe against the fermenter, it doesn't run all that often, I timed it once at about 18 minutes per hour, around 6 on and 14 off.

Yep pre wired is definitely my thing , after your comments I checked eBay and got inundated with the things , as OTTO said they’re pretty reasonably priced too with heat and cooling models around $50 . Looking good for future brews ! ?. Couldn’t have done it without the great advice via this forum though . Oh ! I checked my very first brew yesterday, been aging 12 days . Didn’t taste one but they are nice and clear and the bottle’s are firm so they are nicely carbonated . Another 16 days and I get to try one ! Stoked ! ?

Sounds like the inkbird ones. They are pretty popular, they're basically just an stc-1000 that you don't have to wire up. I have an stc and it works really well so I'd imagine the inkbird ones are just as good. 

Being in North Queensland you probably won't ever need heating but it's still worth getting one with both plugs just in case. I'm in Brisbane and need heating occasionally, but it's not occasionally enough to get an electronic heat source to plug in to the controller. I just boil some water in an Erlenmeyer flask and stick it in the fridge, re boiling as necessary. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Efilnikufesin said:

Oh ! I checked my very first brew yesterday, been aging 12 days . Didn’t taste one but they are nice and clear and the bottle’s are firm so they are nicely carbonated . Another 16 days and I get to try one ! Stoked ! ?

Don't wait 28 days to try one, it's your first batch. Crack one open in a few days, perhaps on the weekend, and try it. It won't be spectacular but it is good to have a taster aong the way to see how they progress.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1