Coopers Community

Brigalow Bottle Washing Powder - What Is It?

lamensterms

Hey guys,

I usually order most of my brew supplies online - ingredients, equipment and cleaning supplies.

I've run out of sodium perc, and have picked up some Brigalow Home Brew Bottle Washing Powder, which is apparently 97.5% Alkaline Salts.  I'm planning on using this until I restock the sodium perc.

I'll wash with the Brigalow Powder, rinse & then sanitise with Star San.

Just wondering... what is/are "Alkaline Salts"?  Wikipedia says that sodium perc is an alkaline salt.  Does anyone know if the Brigalow powder is, in fact sodium perc?

Thanks for the help guys.

The Brigalow "Bottle Washing Powder" is only described on the label as Alkaline Salts. It is a hot water wash, then rinse product. This is not Sodium Percarbonate and is not used as a sterilizer. If you were to wash a glass in it and not rinse, you will pour a very flat beer.

The Brigalow "Sodium Metabisulphite" is a cold water, then cold water rinse sterilizer.

Cheers.

32 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

I was under the impression it was Sodium Metabisulphite

That's what I thought too but maybe not. It could be percarbonate, you can use it with hot water and a hot water rinse is far more effective at removing the residue than cold water. It also is not a steriliser. 

Thanks a lot for the replies and info.

As Worthog mentioned... Brigalow also sell Sodium Metabisulphite (though they call it Sodium Metabisulphate) - which suggest that the bottle wash powder could be something else.

I've emailed Brigalow - will let you guys know if they know what it is haha

Archived