Coopers Community

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Clone?

Hi Guys,

Has anyone on here got a SN Torpedo clone recipe? There are a few around, but I wanted to get one that's tried and tested. I LOVE SN Torpedo, it's my go to.

EDIT: I should also mention that I am on extract brewing so speciality grains / steeping and extract recipe would be good. But I could also convert an AG if you have one!

Thanks!

Adam

Sorry I don't have a recipe. But good luck with this one, SN torpedo is a great beer. I would say it needs more bitterness, so if I were to brew a clone I would bump up the IBUs a bit. But it's still really tasty. I can only imagine how nice it is fresh at the brewery.

And here I always thought they used Chinook in it. I enjoy this beer too, but it's a bit expensive to buy it regularly. I do have a SN Pale Ale clone recipe I brew occasionally, it came about from someone emailing SN and asking how to brew it. The SN brewmaster sent him a recipe and from brewing it myself it's bloody close to the original. Maybe you could try that? ??

21 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

And here I always thought they used Chinook in it. I enjoy this beer too, but it's a bit expensive to buy it regularly. I do have a SN Pale Ale clone recipe I brew occasionally, it came about from someone emailing SN and asking how to brew it. The SN brewmaster sent him a recipe and from brewing it myself it's bloody close to the original. Maybe you could try that? ??

Yep I remember that, I was involved in that thread, that was ages ago. It may even have been a thread I created....I think we got the clone from a guy on AHB that was in contact with SN.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA (All Grain):

Size: 12.0 US gal (post-boil @ 68F) 
Mash Efficiency: 95% 
Attenuation: 80.0% 
Calories: 228.21 kcal per 12.0 fl oz 
Original Gravity: 1.069 (style range: 1.056 - 1.075) 
Terminal Gravity: 1.014 (style range: 1.010 - 1.018) 
Color: 8.63 (style range: 6.0 - 15.0) 
Alcohol: 7.3% (style range: 5.5% - 7.5%) 
Bitterness: 58 (style range: 40.0 - 70.0) 

Ingredients: 
23.0 lb Domestic 2-Row Malt (95.3%) 
1.13 lb Crystal Malt 60L (4.7%) 
2.0 oz Magnum Hops (14.4%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min [44.9 IBU] 
1 Whirlfloc Tablet (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 15 min 
2.4 oz Magnum Hops (14.4%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min [10.8 IBU] 
2.4 oz Crystal Hops (3.3%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min [2.4 IBU] 
36 g Fermentis Safale US-05 dry yeast 
1.6 oz Magnum Hops (14.4%) - added dry to secondary fermenter 
1.6 oz Crystal Hops (3.3%) - added dry to secondary fermenter 
1.6 oz Citra Hops (11.1%) - added dry to secondary fermenter 

Notes: 
Add 500mg potassium metabisulphite to 20 gallons water to remove chlorine/chloramine (as required). 
Water treated with brewing salts to: Ca=110, Mg=18, Na=16, Cl=49, S04=279 
(Basically Randy Mosher's ideal Pale Ale numbers with slightly less Sulphate). 
For complete details on how to adjust your water, refer to our step by step Water Adjustments guide. 
1.25 qt/lb mash thickness. Single infusion mash at 152F for 90 mins. Mashout to 168F. 
60-90 min fly sparge with ~6 pH water. Collect 14.9 gallons in boil kettle. 
Boil for 90 minutes. Lid on at flameout, start chilling immediately. 
Cool wort to 66F and aerate well. Ferment at 66-68F until complete. 
Dry hop for 10 days. 
Rack to brite tank (secondary), crash chill to near freezing (if possible), add 1 tsp of unflavoured gelatin dissolved in a cup of hot distilled water per 5 gallons of beer, and let clear for 2-3 days. 
Package as you would normally. I keg and carbonate on the low side (around 2 to 2.2 volumes of C02) to minimize carbonic bite and let the hop/malt flavour come through. 

If you prefer to use liquid yeast, either of these is an excellent choice as they are the same clean fermenting Chico strain as US-05:
Wyeast 1056 American Ale or White Labs WLP-001 California Ale.

I have an extract + grains version if required.

I hope that helps.

Lusty.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA clone (extract + grains)

(5 gallons/19 L)
OG = 1.070 FG = 1.018 IBU = 70 SRM = 12 ABV = 7.2%

Ingredients

1 lb. 5 oz. (0.6 kg) pale malt
11 oz. (0.31 kg) caramel malt (60 °L)
5.0 lbs. (2.26 kg) light dried malt extract
2 lb. 6 oz. (1.1 kg)? light liquid malt extract (late addition)
17 AAU Magnum hops (60 mins)(1.2 oz./34 g of 14% alpha acids)
1.0 oz (28 g) Magnum hops (5 mins)
1.0 oz. (28 g) Crystal hops (5 mins)
0.67 oz. (19 g) Magnum hops (dry hop)
0.67 oz. (19 g) Crystal hops (dry hop)
0.67 oz. (19 g) Citra hops (dry hop)
Wyeast 1056 (American Ale), White Labs WLP001 (California Ale) or Fermentis US-05 yeast

Step by Step

To get the proper amount of hop bitterness, you must be able to boil 4.0 gallons (15 L) of wort. Steep grains in 3 qts. (~3 L) of water at 152 °F (67 °C) for 45 minutes. Add water to make 4.0 gallons (15 L), stir in dried malt extract and bring to a boil. Boil for 90 minutes, adding hops at time indicated. Add boiling water if wort volume drops below 3.5 gallons (13 L). Add liquid malt extract for final 15 minutes of the boil. Cool wort and transfer to fermenter. Add cold water to make 5 gallons (19?L). Pitch yeast and ferment at 68 °F (20 °C). Dry hop for 10 days to 2 weeks or use a torpedo to add hop character.

The dry hop amount in this BYO listing is lower, but you can certainly increase this up to the amount listed in the All Grain version if you wish. I would. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

2 hours ago, Hairy said:

There is a lot of Magnum in this beer.

It's the likely reason I have never made this beer. ?

2 hours ago, Hairy said:

...I bet Lusty did a little vomit in his mouth as he was posting those recipes

Vomiting is often an involuntary reaction to something ingested that has a disgusting or unwanted taste or flavour. Magnum has none, so no problems there. ?

I've actually had the commercial Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA. It is a lovely beer. Very malt driven for an IPA. Well it never really had much of a chance of being anything else with all that dead-shit Magnum in there now did it?!! ?

If I ever set up a website selling hops, under the description for Magnum I'm gonna write, "The hop to use if you want the malt in your beer to shine".

Cheers,

Lusty.

2 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

That's it, I'm brewing a single hop pale ale with Magnum all through the boil and dry hop and sending Lusty a bottle of it. ?

I'll take one too! ?

7 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

That's it, I'm brewing a single hop pale ale with Magnum all through the boil and dry hop and sending Lusty a bottle of it. ?

You'll receive it back in the mail with "Return to sender" written on it. ?

Actually do it Kelsey. Your name will go into the Guinness Book of World Records as the man who created the most boring beer ever! ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

On 7/6/2018 at 11:27 AM, Otto Von Blotto said:

...I'm expecting it to be less interesting than my usual pale ales...

Me too. ?

On 7/6/2018 at 11:12 AM, Hairy said:

I'm adding this to my "to brew" list for Spring. I think it will be a good warm weather beer.

You can tip crap beer down the drain in any season. It doesn't just have to be in Spring. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Shout out to the guys from Beerco. Top service, great prices, fresh hops AND they gave me some bonus samples. 70g of 2017 US cascade and 30g of Magnum. Saw the Magnum and thought of you Lusty. Was going to use Centennial /Citra/on hand leftover high AA hops for bittering but looks like this 30g of Magnum will come in handy ?

Archived