Coopers Community

150 Lashes clone recipe

jackgym

At rooty hill rsl I had 4 pines draught and pale on tap. The draught was ok. The pale doesn't seem to be as good as it was. Same with little creatures stubbies, this time last year they were good, and now they've seemed to have dipped 

8 hours ago, grogdog said:

And there is another joint in town, it's a beer garden on the roof it has some very left field beers.

Sweeney's instantly sprung to mind!. I don't work on Fridays so haven't been here for a session in a very very long time. Might need to go soon!

22 minutes ago, joolbag said:

Sweeney's instantly sprung to mind!. I don't work on Fridays so haven't been here for a session in a very very long time. Might need to go soon!

Let me know when you do and I'll see you up there 

21 hours ago, grogdog said:

At rooty hill rsl I had 4 pines draught and pale on tap. The draught was ok. The pale doesn't seem to be as good as it was. Same with little creatures stubbies, this time last year they were good, and now they've seemed to have dipped 

The 'draft' in bottles (which makes no sense unless from a marketing standpoint) is actually their Kolsch

I recently had a few schooners of Fat Yak at my local RSL. I couldn't really derive the taste from them as I remember.

As many of us have this problem, I think our own home brew beer is up to a better standard, rather than their beer having "dipped."

Even in the southern US when I visited last year, the only beers that did it for me were their local hopped up IPAs.  And they were good.   

1 hour ago, headmaster said:

The 'draft' in bottles (which makes no sense unless from a marketing standpoint) is actually their Kolsch

Gday HM

Yeh I did notice that about their kolsch/draught. 

Coopers have it down pat, something oddly satisfying about the Coopers labels. And we can just ask for what we want by colour. 

@jackgym Fair call. 

On 2/18/2019 at 1:36 PM, The Captain!! said:

Honestly Worthog, 

Looks good. Like you’ve already said, maris instead of a lighter pils malt, it might not be the same as 150 but I think yours will be easily better. 

On 2/20/2019 at 7:48 AM, Worthog said:

Yeah, I'm thinking I could do Pilsner and Wheat to get it closer to the real thing. I can always swap to Maris in following brews as potential improved iteration of the brew. I have a week to decide. Thanks, Greeny 

Cheers

Tasting more of these, I should have bowed to the more experienced advice of The Captain. Maris and Vienna grain in combo with 10% Munich and 5% Carapils would be a perfectly tasty base, even if not 150 Lashes.

Cheers

Edited by Worthog
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Worthog said:

Maris and Vienna grain in combo with 10% Munich and 5% Carapils would be a perfectly tasty base, even if not 150 Lashes.

Make that your next one worthog and see how it goes. I do like a 150, it was my beer of choice for a long time. However now I think it would be great as a base to make it more tasty.

• Like 1

Getting to the end of these bottles now which have aged an extra week or so. I must say that I may come back to this Mid Strength version of 150 Lashes next summer.

The wheat gives it a fresh, but not quite tart background. I have enjoyed these as much as the real thing on tap at the RSL club.

I am still going to go with a slightly up ABV,  version with Maris and Vienna, this winter. 

Cheers

• Like 1