Coopers Community

150 Lashes clone recipe

jackgym

Hi brewers

This is probably a trivial question for most. I'm looking at a recipe here: 

https://brewerschoice.com.au/shop/beer/recipe-packs/james-squire-150-lashes-clone-recipe-pack-kit/#configuration

Procedure:                

1. A day before preparing recipe place 5 litres of water in closed containers in a fridge and chill*.
  2. Steep the Caramalt grain pack for 30min in 1 litre of hot tap water (not boiling).
  3. Strain the grain through a sieve into to a large saucepan. Rinse grains with a further 500ml of hot water and collect in saucepan as well. Discard the grains.
  4. Add another litre of water, add 500g of Light Dried Malt, stir well and bring to the boil.
  5. Add 15g of Amarillo hops and simmer for 5 mins.
  6. Add 15g of Nelson Sauvin hops and simmer for a further 5 mins.
  7. Turn off the heat and add 15g of Willamette hops and allow to steep for 10 mins.
  8. Pour the MJ Golden Lager satchel into the fermenter, add Liquid Wheat malt and contents of the saucepan and stir well.
  9. Top up to 23L with chilled and tap water to reach a starting temperature of 20-24°C, stirring vigorously to aerate the wort.
  10. Add yeast and ferment as close as possible to 20°C**. Bottle or keg beer when gravity is consistent over two days.

No. 8 says: Pour the MJ Golden Lager satchel into the fermenter, add Liquid Wheat malt and contents of the saucepan and stir well. It doesn't mention straining the boiled hops. Is this a concern or doesn't it matter if it's just tipped straight into the fermenter without straining?

I'm sure I read on one of the Coopers recipes to strain it, so that's what I've done a few times.

Having said that I'm looking at the Dark Monk recipe I recently made and there's no mention of straining it in that recipe.

Just a little less crap to end up in the FV I suppose. Also I've started to reuse the yeast slurry, so that's another reason to keep hops out of the FV.

@Olemate he's talking about the hops, not the grains.

If you have done hop boils or steeps before and strained them out, then just do that. Sometimes those recipe instructions aren't written very well.

In any case, they should be strained out. Boiled/steeped hops are of no benefit being in the fermenter anyway. I always pour my cubes through two strainers into the fermenter if I've cube hopped to prevent as much of it as possible getting into the FV. Dunno why they're using a lager yeast though. Maybe it gets as close to the flavor as possible.

• 7 months later...

Well, brewers, This is my take on 150 Lashes scheduled for mash next week;

• To 22L 
  • 2.4kg Maris, 1kg Vienna, 400g Wheat, 200g Carapils (60m@65c)
  • 15g Simcoe FWH
  • 10g Nelson Sauvin, 10g Willamette, @8m
  • 15g Nelson Sauvin, 15g Amarillo, @FO
  • Dry Hop (chux+squeeze) 25g Nelson Sauvin, 25g Amarillo
  • 11.5g US-05 rehydrated

Key process steps

• 1/3rd Whirlfloc tab @ 10m
  • Mash with no sparge will yield 20L of FV wort from No-Chill cube, Add 2L water.
  • Ferment 18c
  • DH at day 4 for 3 days.
  • Predicted OG 1.038, FG 1.008, 4.4% ABV bottled

The original 150 Lashes might use Pilsner Malt and Wheat, but I am swapping out Pilsner for Maris and Vienna. I think unique tastes in 150 Lashes are Wheat Malt together with Nelson, Willamette and Amarillo. This is my best guess at a satisfactory hop schedule for my process.

I will let you know in 6 weeks how it went. All comments and criticisms welcome!

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I decided to go with Greeny's idea, Pilsner and Wheat.

It's now ferment day 4, to add my Dry Hop 25/25 Nelson/Amarillo. Upon weighing, I found I could only do 20/20, so I commandoed.

I ran the FG, which was 1.005, so I am not going to get 'Lashes' as I am too low for mouthfeel and abv.

Can't believe I mashed 3.4kg Pilsner and 1kg of Wheat and for 22L will get only ABV 4% bottled.

Will tell you about the taste later.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/3/2019 at 8:49 PM, Worthog said:

Well, I decided to go with Greeny's idea, Pilsner and Wheat.

It's now ferment day 4, to add my Dry Hop 25/25 Nelson/Amarillo. Upon weighing, I found I could only do 20/20, so I commandoed.

I ran the FG, which was 1.005, so I am not going to get 'Lashes' as I am too low for mouthfeel and abv.

Can't believe I mashed 3.4kg Pilsner and 1kg of Wheat and for 22L will get only ABV 4% bottled.

Will tell you about the taste later.

Cheers

I have tasted my first bottle. As I have said, my ABV was too low to get the right taste. It is still ok as a mid-strength, but the Trad Pale and Wheat Malt does not provide any depth of flavour. 

So, in short, a failure as any sort of 150 Lashes clone. Nice enough beer to drink though.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Worthog said:

I have tasted my first bottle. As I have said, my ABV was too low to get the right taste. It is still ok as a mid-strength, but the Trad Pale and Wheat Malt does not provide any depth of flavour. 

So, in short, a failure as any sort of 150 Lashes clone. Nice enough beer to drink though.

Cheers

without a doubt better than the 'original' (absolute garbage it is.

21 minutes ago, Worthog said:

Yeah, I would never buy the packaged stuff, but on tap at my local club, it is very good. 

Cheers

I'll take your word for it worthog. The new release at my local is 'goat' a 4.2% effort I believe, by mountain goat brewery. This is your run if the mill macro establishment pub btw. Fruity and not bad. It took over the old coopers pale tap. I give it a year or 2)

The other week I tried a couple offerings at the Penrith Panthers club. Can't remember what they were now but always nice to have something new on tap. 

My local in Queensland has Modus Operandi brews on tap, silent knight porter (crap) and sonic prayer IPA (best beer in town) 

I toured some brew spots on the sunshine coast a couple months back. Blackwater trading Co. Tried his psychotic girl IPA and deadbeat boyfriend cream ale, and his saison. Those first 2 are award winning beers and we can make better beers at home honestly. The cream Ale was nice. 

Tried a couple long necks from hawkesbury brewing lately, the lager and the draught. Decent beer. 

Cheers Grogdog

11 hours ago, grogdog said:

The other week I tried a couple offerings at the Penrith Panthers club. Can't remember what they were now but always nice to have something new on tap. 

You came to Sydney and visited Penrith Panthers!!!! You went too far west.

They have the James Squire bar there with the usual JS range and Kosciuszko on tap. They used to have one tap with the limited release beers which was great. I remember going there once and they had a Wee Heavy on tap.

2 hours ago, Hairy said:

You came to Sydney and visited Penrith Panthers!!!! You went too far west.

They have the James Squire bar there with the usual JS range and Kosciuszko on tap. They used to have one tap with the limited release beers which was great. I remember going there once and they had a Wee Heavy on tap.

Gday hairy. 

It was ladies choice mate.

The wee heavy would've been a cool find. What I had was the white rabbit dark ale, wasn't as good as I remember it last time, which was at the edinborough in town, that place used to put some good beers on. And there is another joint in town, it's a beer garden on the roof it has some very left field beers.

1 minute ago, grogdog said:

Gday hairy. 

It was ladies choice mate.

The wee heavy would've been a cool find. What I had was the white rabbit dark ale, wasn't as good as I remember it last time, which was at the edinborough in town, that place used to put some good beers on. And there is another joint in town, it's a beer garden on the roof it has some very left field beers.

Was it Hotel Sweeney’s?

3 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Was it Hotel Sweeney’s?

Not sure. You go up 4 levels of stairs, first a dreary pub, then this room full of second hand couches then a bistro then the roof top. That it? 

11 minutes ago, grogdog said:

Not sure. You go up 4 levels of stairs, first a dreary pub, then this room full of second hand couches then a bistro then the roof top. That it? 

That is a fair description of it.

Archived