Coopers Community

Mangrove Jack's Cider Pouch

willie_m

I rotate between a ginger beer (LHBS) and a MJ pear cider in one of my kegs. The cider comes out good everytime, the only flaw I have had was a sulphur smell that was slight, I think I let it ferment to high, but that was just 1 batch. I like their kits because I just mix it together toss in the yeast and walk away. I don't even monitor the temp?!?! Well a little, I don't let them rise above 24c, but that probably explains that sulphur batch, it was done during summer, it was still quite good.

The pear pouch comes with sweetener, I have tried a full pack, it was sweet, about 3/4 the way to a rekordlik. half a pack was nice, some sweetness with some tart, the in-laws love it this way. I prefer 1/4 of a pack it is has a little sweetness and then a lot of tart.

I am sure you will have a nice cider. I am interested in how this packet tastes, I have been flirting with the other kinds but never strayed from the ole trusty pear.

Norris

• Thanks 1

Its only on day 2 of fermenting but will keep this updated with progress. Loads of condensation so its definitely on the go.

It smelled like jam when I put it in and still have the essence to put in a day before bottling.

Not expecting a commercial type but definitely something that is easy to drink. Not a fan of pear ciders but if this goes well I'll try other flavors.

I've put the full sweetner in but will vary it for others as stuff like somersby gets way too sweet for me.

I have done a few of these (albeit a few years ago, I just got back in to brewing), I found the sweetener gives it quite an artificial taste, I really didn't like it. Since that first brew, what I tend to do is get about 3L of Apple, pear or apple and pear juice (preservative/additive free) and pour it in. I also replaced the pack yeast with a champagne yeast, this ended up making a really nice and fairly dry cider. Nothing like lolly cider. So I guess it depends on your tastes (or the missus). I do tend to add the 1kg dextrose, combined with the juice it makes it a bit higher in ABV but it's really nice.

• Like 1

I threw the whole sweetener in as I know the mrs likes a sweet one and I can have them to a point. How much does it push up the ABV? I do quite like the idea of replacing a 3l of water with fruit juices, does it do much to the flavour or mostly dry it up?

1 hour ago, Bazzak said:

I have done a few of these (albeit a few years ago, I just got back in to brewing), I found the sweetener gives it quite an artificial taste, I really didn't like it. Since that first brew, what I tend to do is get about 3L of Apple, pear or apple and pear juice (preservative/additive free) and pour it in. I also replaced the pack yeast with a champagne yeast, this ended up making a really nice and fairly dry cider. Nothing like lolly cider. So I guess it depends on your tastes (or the missus). I do tend to add the 1kg dextrose, combined with the juice it makes it a bit higher in ABV but it's really nice.

Are you backsweeting with the juice or replacing the water in the fermenter with some juice? Adding to the fermenter during fermentation will usually just ferment those sugars out and still leave it dry? If you add after fermentation is complete then it will add sweetness.

Let me know if I got that mixed up.

Cheers

Norris

10 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Are you backsweeting with the juice or replacing the water in the fermenter with some juice?

I add mine into the FV at the time of fermentation, i.e replacing that volume of water. As I mentioned a bit earlier, I prefer a dry cider to a sweet one, and you're correct, it does make a dryer cider, but the taste is certainly enhanced. 

You could certainly add to the batch after fermentation is complete, it would indeed sweeten it up, but I expect it would also drop the ABV by diluting it. 

Either way, this is making me thirsty!

• Like 1

Think i'm very much the same Norris, get an apple cider and add some juice see what flavours I can get, might still add half the sweetener to hedge my bets.

Could it be done with buying fruit and pureeing it?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Norris! said:

I am going to try this in my next cider batch! I like it drier also.

Make sure you use a champagne yeast as well and not the kit yeast, as this will help to produce a dry cider

• Thanks 1

Willie don't get too worried about the sweetener, it will be a good drink. I honestly don't notice it too much. When I use 1/2 packet or less I really don't notice it. This is the BEST part about brewing, all the tweaks you can do. Record the results and game plan the next batch. 

Cheers

Norris

That is great to hear DANSBREW, I always felt that the MJ ciders were top notch.  To be completely honest, why would anyone mess around with any other recipes when these come out so good?! I guess part of this hobby is experimenting but when they make it so easy I find it hard to make a batch that could take several hours compared to 15-20 minutes to whip this together.  Now if only someone could come up with a fool proof ginger beer recipe! I am hoping a few people's try at the ginger beer works out so I can get that back into the keg rotation. 

Cheers,

Norris

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

How did yours turn out Willie? I just bought one of these pouches and was going to brew it next week or two. Just wondering if you thought adding some juice in place of the water and dextrose might help this specific kit out?

I forgot to get champagne yeast but I have cider yeast already and the kit yeast so I will run with that, but I did take that suggestion on board.

I might also add some pureed and boiled raspberries and lime juice to it, but since this is the first time with this one I might just roll with it and then see. Decisons.

I have done the Elderflower and Lime 4 times over the last 8 months ... I use the kit yeast but add the zest of 1 lime and 3 x 5 cm stick of cinnamon to the brew at the start of the ferment ... I also put the lime concentrate in at the same time not when the kit says ... it turns out great ... in the fridge for 7-8 days at around 18-20 degrees ... when the SG is at about 1005 add finings and cold crash it for a few days ... at time of bottling FG was 1002 as recommended .... leave for a couple of weeks and drink .... easy as and the wife and daughter love it ...

• Thanks 1

Cheers Marty. I think these pouches are great. I might add some lime zest but skip the cinnamon, just my tastes.

I always wait until the end of fermentation to add the concentrate, but have done 1 with it added during fermentation, I felt the later addition brought more flavour and aroma across while the other way made it crisper but nice.

3 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Cheers Marty. I think these pouches are great. I might add some lime zest but skip the cinnamon, just my tastes.

I always wait until the end of fermentation to add the concentrate, but have done 1 with it added during fermentation, I felt the later addition brought more flavour and aroma across while the other way made it crisper but nice.

toying with putting a bit of chilli in the next one .... I also do their ginger beer which is wonderful ...  I do it with 1kg of LDM and  add chilli in a cloth to it and boy does it add a bit of spicy goodness  ...  highly recommend the Ginger Beer .. it is very much beer mine gets to around 5%  ... not like the Morgans which is more a soft drink style great for use as a mixer it is only about 3% ...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

anyone have any recipe ideas on how i can improve a MJ pouch, usually use the Eldeflower and lime but open to ideas, and get it more like a Squires Orchard Crush or even a dirty grannies ... the wife loves the Elderflower and Lime but I want to change it up a bit ... so any ideas will be much appreciated ... was toying with LDM rather than Dex and using a premium ale yeast but apart from that I am devoid of ideas ...  suggestions please ... 

I have dry hopped some cider before...I could kind of pick it up, not near my notes, but I remember thinking I should of added more.

I really like the pear, I switch it up by adding more or less of the sweetener. I just did a lime and raspberry that was tart and lovely, even after just a week. I only used a smidgen if sweetener maybe 1/4 of a packet.

Give this article a read and it might help out some

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://byo.com/article/hopped-cider/&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwje89HR4uDgAhXIf7wKHadiAKMQFjAAegQICxAE&usg=AOvVaw2QOObf1qDrJdk-_IpJcoTL

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...