Coopers Community

Galaxy based APA

12 hours ago, Norris! said:

Sorry Mike, I didn't chime in because I was unsure of the calculations, did you just work it by hand or adjust the settings on the software?

At the end I felt that after carbonation it would bring out the bitterness more and with some aging, like 3 to 4 weeks it would meld together nicely.  So I didn't want to say anything that you already knew.

Let us know how it comes out.

Norris

I used the software, put it in as a 1ltr 5 & then 10 min boil with the hops punched in also.

9 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It should be noted that carbonation itself offsets sweetness. I don't know if it brings out the bitterness more but it does effectively reduce the sweetness. The difference in taste between fizzy and flat Coke is a good example of this, and is the reason why Coke is so highly carbonated.

I've had batches in the past taste a bit sweet when they were either uncarbed or only partially carbed. Once fully carbed they were perfect. I wouldn't judge the final product on a flat sample. 

Thanks for that though Ive always tasted my SG samples & post DH/cold crash samples & never had a brew this sweet, sure after priming during bottling its often very sweet but not at this stage of the job.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course it's possible that the brew is too sweet anyway, I'm not suggesting that carbonation will fix it completely but just that sometimes beers taste a bit sweeter than intended before they're fully carbed. 

I'm drinking a glass of brown ale from the fermenter at the moment after kegging the batch just now and it is sweeter than it tastes once gassed up.

Oh well, gave it a bash, have a feeling I going to end up with a very hoppy beer that needs to be poured carefully so as to not disturb the hop sediment but heh ho,,,

Strained it through a double layer of chux but it was still a jug of green mist,,,,,

Couldn't wait any longer, had one on chill for a few days, still not even slightly clear but guess that's the price of a hop tea bulk prime ?

Green mist  is still a very apt name, even the froth seems to have a green tinge,,,, that said it has to be the most craftiest NEIPA / IPA home brew Ive every done by a country mile, got that lighter more golden colour I was looking for, full of hop aroma, fresh hop flavour but obviously still a bit, well, green ?

Im doing this brew again for sure, will up the bitterness boil a heap next time & not do a hop tea prime, it still has a slight sweet tone, but its low enough not to care, but drinks like a light session beer, all be it a green one an has a nose like you get when you pull out your dry hop bag & open it up to check how well the water penetrated the hops.

Chuffed.

On 9/12/2018 at 9:16 AM, Popo said:

Good stuff Mike! Sounds like a winner.

TBQH, I think if Id got the bitterness right in the boil it would been but having to do a hop tea bulk prime didn't make for a great beer but at least it def saved this batch!

Archived