Coopers Community

What other hobbies do brewers have??

therealthing691

On 2/5/2020 at 10:00 PM, MUZZY said:

I'm not sure you'd call this a hobby because I don't think I'll be doing it again but I scavenged a few pallets from the roadside and intend to make a couple of planter boxes and a raised garden bed for some vegies with them.

The first stage is the inner city, craft brewing hipster coming out in me.

1. Pallet.

2. Deconstructed pallet.

IMG20200205092454.jpg

IMG20200205094638.jpg

Finished product. I'm not a real handyman type so I'm kinda proud of this effort. It's not perfect but it will do the job.

IMG20200208123301.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Hobbies/passions/obsessions, wow..... the list is long, but distinguished:

woodturning

African drumming - building, playing, performing, teaching
African harp - built my first, playing it in, thinking of a second.

Running - was training for UTA22, but my foot decided it has had enough, so 9 months of injury has put me back in "just get to 5k" mode.

I volunteer for Wildcare as a snake rescuer/trainer - I may be about to (re)take the mantle of Snake Co-Ordinator, arranging all the training and care boxes!

Over and above growing some veges, riding my Harley, spending quality time with my wife, and watching footy and cricket when it's on!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Waynealford said:

Hobbies/passions/obsessions, wow..... the list is long, but distinguished:

woodturning

African drumming - building, playing, performing, teaching
African harp - built my first, playing it in, thinking of a second.

Running - was training for UTA22, but my foot decided it has had enough, so 9 months of injury has put me back in "just get to 5k" mode.

I volunteer for Wildcare as a snake rescuer/trainer - I may be about to (re)take the mantle of Snake Co-Ordinator, arranging all the training and care boxes!

Over and above growing some veges, riding my Harley, spending quality time with my wife, and watching footy and cricket when it's on!

Um... WOW! My life seems dull and colourless now. 

You train SNAKES??? 😄 To do what exactly...? 😄 

1 minute ago, Journeyman said:

Um... WOW! My life seems dull and colourless now. 

You train SNAKES??? 😄 To do what exactly...? 😄 

I train people to rescue snakes from hysterical murderous humans.  I also train snakes to go in the bag - you'd be surprised how quickly they catch on!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Waynealford said:

I train people to rescue snakes from hysterical murderous humans. 

Yeah, I figured. 😄 

Snakes taught me humans can levitate. Hiking as a kid, me & 2 mates running down a mountain field, leap over a large log and there's 4 - 5 red bellys right where we are going to land - we ALL landed about 2 metres away and fan like ruck away from there... 😄

Hobbies these days: Wine Collector, race horse owner, gym junkie, done it all from power lifting to Crossfit. 

I played Masters rugby league until my early 60's.  No longer play but hit a pretty fair golf ball in my day and managed to get to single figures. So am always up for a game of golf but only play once or twice a year if that.  

To be honest life is pretty mundane since I moved from the Brisbane CBD where I lived  to our property on the Sunshine Coast.  Over the last couple of years life has changed, retirement grand kids and now I am pretty much obsessed with making good quality AG beer and looking after my wife who still works and commutes to the CBD 4 days a week, my two Jack Russell Terriers  and my grand daughter 1 day a week.  

• Like 3

I bought a new driver yesterday, TaylorMade M5. Fully adjustable weights and loft. Took it out to the range today and bloody hell, other than a few bad swings they all went either straight or had a slight fade or draw on them. Easily over 200m. I won't be able to use it in a game until mid March as I'm missing next Sunday's game due to being hungover, but certainly looking forward to hopefully spending much less time in the trees. As long as I keep the swing in check and don't try to hit the cover off it, it goes where I want it to. 

My old driver would always fade right, the only difference between shots was how far right it went. Not much fun really. 

• Haha 1

It's an awesome sport. More setup changes possible on one of these buggies then on an F1 car. You don't just need to know how to drive, you need to be able to setup a car for a particular track, tune the nitro engines as they are all carby based (no electronics on the motor), different tire treads/compounds etc etc.

I'll be heading to the Nationals in Melbourne in just under a month again, can't wait 🙂

Depends on what clubs and balls you buy I suppose. That driver I got was $570 and that's probably mid range price. It was marked down by nearly $300 because it's last year's model and they aren't making them anymore so not a bad time to get it really. Probably won't get another one unless it breaks, but with the heads being removable these days all I'd need is a new head to go on it which would be replaced free within 2 years, after that I'd have to buy it but still significantly cheaper than a whole new club. 

I won't buy expensive balls though because chances are they'd just get lost in the woods or water hazards 😂😂 

This reminds of the lad hanging around an exclusive golf club trying to earn a few bucks by offering caddy services to the wealthy members.
A bloke rocks up in a Rolls Royce and the young bloke's eyes light up. This guy will have money for sure.
Lad: "Sir, would like a caddy for the day?"
Rich guy: "I don't really need one. I use a motorised cart."
Lad (looking disappointed): "OK then. Hey Mister? That sure is a nice car. What is it?"
RG: "It's a Rolls Royce, son. The finest of British engineering."
Noticing the lad's disappointment at not earning a quid, the rich guy says, "I don't need a caddy but I tell you what. If you keep an eye on my car while I play I'll make it worth your while."
Lad: "Oh wow! Sure thing, Mister."
Rich guy plays his round and returns.
Lad: "Hey Mister! I looked after your car real well. No golf balls came near it and a another car tried parking next it but I stood next to it so he couldn't park too close and maybe scratch it."
RG: "Good lad!" And he reaches into his pocket to pull out some money. Amongst the coins and notes from his pocket are his car keys and a few golf tees. The young fella didn't know what they were and asks,
"Hey Mister? What are those things?"
RG: "They're called tees, son. You rest your balls on them when you're driving."
Lad: "Far out! Rolls Royce think of everything."

• Haha 3