Coopers Community

What other hobbies do brewers have??

therealthing691

• 4 weeks later...

15982FA8-BC92-40D7-BBE1-9D5652D75CD0.thumb.jpeg.a5c0a13388e90f747e8af746f3b8a138.jpegSo I’ve just harvested the first lot of garlic for the season out of my backyard. Approximately just under 150 bulbs, not a great year but but good enough for feeding the family and keeping a heap for seeds. 

There will be another 3 harvests of different types in the next few months

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

I used to do a fair bit of cycling. Did a few 100km rides for fun and used to ride to work a fair bit - about 50km round trip 3 days a week. Then I just about got taken out by a cop who decided he needed a 7 11 Krispy Kreme more than giving way to me.

Over the last 10 years or so I started to get into photography, and now the girls are older I’m getting more time to do it. I love music photography and some sports photography and I’m not to shabby at it. Done a couple of music festivals and gig nights and keen to do more.

Now I need to save money on beer to support my photography- don’t know how that’s going to work out ?

Jamie

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I love my fishing and BBQ.

Have just started to look at smoking meat as well and using my Weber Kettle more.

IMO both go with beer pretty well so home brew is a good step forward.

Ohhhh and before I forget I enjoy my gaming.. PC mostly these days although do have an xbox one. Anyone else game? Could create a discord servers to game and drink.. 

Edited by supernerdy
forgot to add stuff
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Beer Baron said:

I have finally started playing darts again. I am absolutely horrible at darts but there is just something about darts and homebrew. They go so well together!!

80E7411C-C772-496C-B34A-CA2A717F9EC8.jpeg

Everything goes together with homebrew! I have plenty of hobbies, gym, fishing, cars, cooking. Kids take most of my time these days but when im stuck at home, brewing and cooking are my mainstays. One hundred and eighty!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

As mentioned previously in this thread I bought a minibus and it's now a rudimentary campervan.  As I browsed through a camping website I discovered a money saving tip for campers and it crossed over with home brewing.
Tip: Instead of buying expensive chemicals for portable toilets you can also use laundry soaker ie. sodium percarbonate. More specifically the recommended brand is Coles Ultra because it has a higher % of active ingredient than other brands.
For environmental purposes you could possibly wash your bottles first and clean your loo after with the same batch. Probably not vice versa though. 😄

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, MUZZY said:

More specifically the recommended brand is Coles Ultra because it has a higher % of active ingredient than other brands.
For environmental purposes you could possibly wash your bottles first and clean your loo after with the same batch. Probably not vice versa though. 😄

I found the Aldi Di-San to be damn good for the job. Higher % than Napi San and a lot cheaper.

Have you done any big trips in the van?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Silmaril said:

Have you done any big trips in the van?

Nothing too big yet, Silmaril. Had a 2 night stay in Victor Harbor over the weekend and have done a few single night trips so far. Need to co-ordinate my annual leave with the wife's so we can venture further for longer in the future.
Can see a number of trips through NSW coming up though, with our son most likely moving to Sydney soon.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Nice with the mini bus I had a few mates years back convert a mini bus into a party bus they lived on for 3 years and toured Australia in that period. Wish I coulda done that when i was younger but I got paid holidays in 10 countries this year and go all around Aus all the time for free so guess it's ok. 🤙

1 hour ago, Smashed Crabs said:

Nice with the mini bus I had a few mates years back convert a mini bus into a party bus they lived on for 3 years and toured Australia in that period. Wish I coulda done that when i was younger but I got paid holidays in 10 countries this year and go all around Aus all the time for free so guess it's ok. 🤙

Cheers, SC. Looking like the campervan will be converted to a removalist van for the foreseeable future. Son is moving interstate and I've offered to assist. Once he's gone though it'll be back to holiday mode hopefully.

• 1 year later...

I'm not sure you'd call this a hobby because I don't think I'll be doing it again but I scavenged a few pallets from the roadside and intend to make a couple of planter boxes and a raised garden bed for some vegies with them.

The first stage is the inner city, craft brewing hipster coming out in me.

1. Pallet.

2. Deconstructed pallet.

IMG20200205092454.jpg

IMG20200205094638.jpg

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1