Coopers Community

What other hobbies do brewers have??

therealthing691

16 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

I am fan of martial arts and started training about 2 years ago but it only lasted about 2 months because of a positional change at work. I absolutely loved it and the trainer didn’t believe that I had never done it before. I have recently moved into a position at work where I am able to start again but nowhere near me does AM classes now so bad luck for me☹️

BB

That sucks mate, sounds like you have a bit of natural talent for it too.

On 7/5/2018 at 6:34 PM, Hairy said:

I am also thinking of taking up martial arts to help me with this new style of basketball.

That's why I do my lunchtime Wing Chun classes. Tuesday lunch, just nice for my Tuesday night bball.

Although watching the video my first thought was 'thank goodness none of them know how to fight or it could have got ugly'. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, porschemad911 said:

That's why I do my lunchtime Wing Chun classes. Tuesday lunch, just nice for my Tuesday night bball.

Although watching the video my first thought was 'thank goodness none of them know how to fight or it could have got ugly'. 

You do it at lunchtime? I thought that everybody Wing Chun tonight.

• Haha 3

I have a weird hobby & like to collect empty bottles, which sounds so much better than alcoholic. 

I was going to join a debating group, but someone talked me out of it.

If you are the only person alive that does it, is it still classed as a hobby?

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought this today at auction. It's a 12 seater minibus but I intend to take 8 seats out and convert it to a campervan. I've been lucky enough to have travelled overseas a few times in the past decade but my passport is about to expire. I figure it's time to show the wife some of Australia as well.

IMG_20180802_223202.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm constantly trying hobbies - they come and go and then find their way back usually somewhere.

Last few years I've been into some basic woodworking, cycling, car audio installation, building PC's, go karting, golf - the list goes on lol

Basically they all got too expensive so I ditched them at different times, but I still tinker now and then.

I've recently started making the odd loaf of bread. Then it turned out that the loaf pan wasn't the right size and the dough was rising sideways more than upwards so I'm off to get one tomorrow that is the right size and deeper and have another go. Slowly getting the hang of it though. They at least tasted nice even though they were too dense.

• Like 2

@Otto Von Blotto I'm waiting on a loaf right now. It's a sourdough with 40% rye flour in it. The times I have tried to bake with commercial yeast they have flopped, so I stick to my sourdough culture these days.

The difference for me was upgrading to good quality, organic flour. But more expensive $18.50 for 5kg but the results are well worth it. Had a rough patch of failed loaves last year from Lauke supermarket flour, threw it on the compost heap and went back to the good stuff and my loaves improved with it.

Will Post a Pic once I finish baking

• Like 1

I haven't had any issues with it failing to rise overall, it rises quite well, just not enough dough for the size of the pan causing it to go more sideways during that second rise. In the pan's defence it was bought for meatloaf, not bread. I figure a smaller pan will help that problem, and as I go I'll work out the optimum amount of flour/dough to suit the pan. 

Third time lucky, did a loaf on Saturday and it turned out much better than the previous two. I got myself a 680g bread pan thingy, it's about 25x10cm and 10.5cm deep. Just guessed how much flour to use, went with about 700g, turned out to be pretty much exactly the right amount. Could probably go a little less dough as it did mushroom over the edges of the pan during the second rise, but the bread itself is nice. Quite soft and toasts well too. Now to keep refining it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/2/2018 at 10:48 PM, MUZZY said:

I just bought this today at auction. It's a 12 seater minibus but I intend to take 8 seats out and convert it to a campervan. I've been lucky enough to have travelled overseas a few times in the past decade but my passport is about to expire. I figure it's time to show the wife some of Australia as well.

IMG_20180802_223202.jpg

Well there I was thinking I got myself a bargain. A nice, big van with high roof and low kms for it's age. Turns out it had a stuffed transmission/clutch. Adding to the problem it is an ASM - auto shifting manual, a feature Ford no longer put in their vans because of their propensity to fail. Took it to an auto trans repairer and a Ford dealer and neither could or would repair or replace it. Eventually I found a repairer in my home city but the repair cost more than the purchase price. It's still a good buy at under $10K but it's double of what I'd intended. Anyway she's running like a dream now. Now the work begins to convert it to campervan.

• Sad 1

Bummer muzzy. 

Least she’s running well now. 

At 20 in 2001 I started traveling around Australia in a 1984 single cab hilux. Loved every minute of my journey. In 7 years saw so much of the bottom half of Australia it’s amazing however I think my hearing and back took a toll as it was rough as guts and loud to drive for hours at a time. 

Comfy traveling for me is a must now. 

I probably would have seen some more if my car wasn’t so rough. 

Went anywhere though. Beach, desert, mountains and gravel. She stopped when I eventually got home after I did 240,000km on the clock. 

Hope yours goes just as well.

Captain

• Like 2

BTW if anyone is thinking about just non stop driving the Nullarbor. DONT!

I spent a couple of months on the plain now and it’s absolutely breathtaking. Especially if you enjoy caving or rock climbing. 

Caves out of sight of an ocean filled with sea waster. 

Captain

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Bummer muzzy. 

Least she’s running well now. 

At 20 in 2001 I started traveling around Australia in a 1984 single cab hilux. Loved every minute of my journey. In 7 years saw so much of the bottom half of Australia it’s amazing however I think my hearing and back took a toll as it was rough as guts and loud to drive for hours at a time. 

Comfy traveling for me is a must now. 

I probably would have seen some more if my car wasn’t so rough. 

Went anywhere though. Beach, desert, mountains and gravel. She stopped when I eventually got home after I did 240,000km on the clock. 

Hope yours goes just as well.

Captain

Went around in 2005. Didnt do Tassy till 2015 but it was nice too. WA for me is fantastic. You won't see nature like you see there. Even though every state is worth viewing if i had to rank every state and territory. In order. WA, NT, QLD, TAS, NSW, VIC, SA, ACT.

• Like 1

Thanks Captain & Greeny.
The great thing about Australia is it's vastness and diversity. So much to see.
As the bus is new to me and I'm yet to trust it fully, I think my first trips will be fairly close to civilisation. Once I know it's idiosyncrasies and capabilities I'll venture more remotely.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2018 at 9:38 PM, Greeny1525229549 said:

Even though every state is worth viewing if i had to rank every state and territory. In order. WA, NT, QLD, TAS, NSW, VIC, SA, ACT.

Ouch, my home state comes dead last. If you rank them again by accessibility to nature it might come first though. The amount of kangaroos we have jumping through the suburbs at the moment is insane! And it's minutes to bushland from just about anywhere.

Cheers, 

John

• Like 1

Its really wierd at the moment John. Was walking with the missus in our suburb about a week ago which isnt far from parramatta in sydney. There was a guy with his dog and his dog was barking at a couple of kangaroos in a little reserve. Have seen them further west but not this far east. Then again it hasn't rained in ages till a couple of days ago where we got about 40mm

1 hour ago, porschemad911 said:

Ouch, my home state comes dead last. If you rank them again by accessibility to nature it might come first though. The amount of kangaroos we have jumping through the suburbs at the moment is insane! And it's minutes to bushland from just about anywhere.

Cheers, 

John

Time for a gun??