Coopers Community

1 question and one observation - carbonation and boiling hops

Tömmy8888

Hey guys as i am still relatively new i still have few questions to ask. 

First is pretty much an observation about carbonation using the drops. In the last batch i used mix of swing top bottles. 1 used 1 drop for the 330mls bottle and 2 drops for the 440ml Grolsh and 500 ml bottles. I think that is the ratio everyone here would use. The result is 330 ml and 500ml bottles being much less carbonated than the 440ml Grolsh, which was absolutely fine .... did anyone expext something similar and have a way to makecthe carb more even ?

Second question is regarding boilng hops and pretty much the whole wort. What i did before was to bring the water to the boil and add DME and after added hops in a bad or straight in and strained it in the end before adding it to FV. Alternative was a hop tea as well. Just to use the most aroma and flavour out of hops would you recommend to bring the water to the boil add DME (or other fermentables) and also add the content of the can and than addhops to all of it for a boil ? Does this somehow hurt the can content or is it just an unnecassary step as the can is already pre hopped ?? Or as long as everything gets mixed together whichever way in the end provides the same result?

Looking forward to hear your ideas and experience

Cheers

Hey tommy,

Carb drops work good for 330,375,750ml bottles etc. Any in between a or larger and it will cause inconsistency in the carb level. You can bulk prime. That entails moving the fermented beer into another bucket (clean and sanitised) and adding the sugar to the whole batch and then bottling from there. That gives a good consistency. I keg but when I bottle for a few styles I want to age I use that method. Other option is a sugar measure tool. They sell these at home brew stores. You can eyeball the level for a 500ml bottle etc to get a more consistent carb level.

For the hop boil question don't boil the pre hopped can. If you are doing a hop boil do it in malt only and yes strain into the FV. Add the can to that and ferment as normal. Be aware that the bigger the boil the more hop utilisation you will get. I.e 30 games of hops boiled in a 5L boil will give less flavour aroma and bitterness than one in 10L boil 

cheers

2 carb drops is shitloads for a 440mL bottle. Surprised they didn't blow up. 1 in a stubby should give a reasonable level of carbonation. It's possible the swing tops aren't sealing properly if you're not getting good carbonation from normal priming sugar amounts.

Hop boils are usually done in wort made up of water and dry malt. Use 100g dry malt per litre of water. Liquid malt can be used at a bit higher rate around 120g per litre of water. You can add the malt before the water boils, just be aware of boilovers with the Coopers malt. If you do any grain steeps, the wort from this can and should be boiled as well. You can use it for hop boils if you're doing them. Don't boil the kit, it will just throw its flavour etc. out. 

Cheers

Kelsey

Archived