Coopers Community

Black rice with Coopers extract

I want to use black rice and a Coopers extract to brew an ale that's like some Japanese beers I had recently (e.g. Konishi Garnet Rouge, HItachino Nest Red Rice Ale). 

As I'm using an extract, I believe I need something to convert the starch in the rice into sugar.  The Asian grocer only had yeast balls which will convert the starch to sugar but I think it will also start the fermentation, which I don't think I want to start before I add the rice liquid to the brew.  I know I could use dry enzyme but I've heard this can negatively impact the taste of the beer.

Has anyone tried adding rice to an extract like this?  if so;

• What did you use to convert the rice starch into sugar?
  • Did you cook the rice or just soak it?
  • How much rice would I use instead of Coopers brewing sugar to get a similar ABV?  I'm happy to use some brewing sugar or LDM to get the brew up to 4.0 to 4.5% and use the rice to get it up to 5.0% or more.

Any other advice would be appreciated. 

I've got no idea either but you will need an enzyme to convert the starch to fermentable sugar, yeast does not do this. The usual enzymes responsible for this are in barley malt, so you may need to mash the rice with some ale malt or something to convert its starches to fermentable sugars.

Malted grain. Get a kilo, crush it. Cook the rice. Cool the rice to 65°c. Stir in the crushed grain, the rice will go from really thick to runny - that is the enzymes doing their stuff. I have done cereal mash before and I think posted somewhere here about it. 

Have used this method a few times for simple Asian lagers in summer using straight white rice. Interestingly on the last occasion I didn't smash up the rice and I got the same SG when I did smash up the rice. So the milling part I am skeptical on for the rice.

While barley will give a conversion efficiency of ~75%. Rice will give in the mid to high 90s so be aware of that for your calcs.

http://beersmith.com/blog/2013/09/06/cereal-mash-steps-for-all-grain-beer-brewing/

Archived