Coopers Community

Wheat Beer Recipe

Hey guys,

I was thinking about trying out this recipe and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts/recomendations?

• Mr. Beer Unhopped Malt Extract (Golden) - 250g (Added to boiling kettle)
  • Hallertau Hersbruker - 50g (First Wort)
  • Thomas Coopers Preacher's Hefe Wheat  - 1.7kg
  • Coopers Wheat Malt Extract - 1.5kg
  • Wyeast 3056 Bavrian Wheat yeast
  • Cascade hop pellets - 20g (Dry Hopping)

Cheers!

What IBUs do you end up with? On the face of it the recipe looks good.

I used Wyeast 3056 in the first wheat beer I ever made. It was a great beer. Much more subtle than 3068 but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. What temperature will you ferment at?

I think it is hard to really determine the bitterness from FWH. It isn’t like a 60 minute addition and bitterness can be perceived differently from the IBUs calculated.

Someone smarter than me can probably answer it.

Most wheat beers are fairly low in ibu’s. 

Most between the range of 10 and 20.

I find FWA change every time. Weather it’s hops getting stuck on the side of the kettle or what but I’ve done exactly the same recipe and the bitterness was different. 

Captain

11 hours ago, Rowbrew said:

I think you'll end up with more than 12 IBU there Brew Monkey. Whats your batch size? What AA% are your hops?

I'm doing a batch size of 23L, the AA of Hallertau Hersbruker hops is 3%, and the Cascade hops is 6%.

Thanks!

Are you doing a 60 minute boil with the Hersbrucker? If so, what for? The kit already has the correct amount of bitterness for a wheat beer. Have you got any sort of software to create recipes with? Just so you can see what sort of numbers you'll end up with

6 minutes ago, Rowbrew said:

Are you doing a 60 minute boil with the Hersbrucker? If so, what for? The kit already has the correct amount of bitterness for a wheat beer. Have you got any sort of software to create recipes with? Just so you can see what sort of numbers you'll end up with

I was going to do a 30 minute boil with the Hersbruker to add a bit of flavour and aroma. I don't have any software for creating recipes was just estimating, any recommendations? 

Thanks ?

Fair enough then. Typically FWH refers to hops being added before the wort comes to a boil in a full length boil in all grain brewing, not kits and bits. You could always make a hop tea, or a flameout steep addition. I think that would suit better than a 30 minute boil. As for software, i use an app called "Wort" its pretty good and works for me. Alot of other people use "Beersmith" or "IanHs spreadsheet" for extract and kit based beers

1 minute ago, Rowbrew said:

Fair enough then. Typically FWH refers to hops being added before the wort comes to a boil in a full length boil in all grain brewing, not kits and bits. You could always make a hop tea, or a flameout steep addition. I think that would suit better than a 30 minute boil. As for software, i use an app called "Wort" its pretty good and works for me. Alot of other people use "Beersmith" or "IanHs spreadsheet" for extract and kit based beers

Thanks for your help Rowbrew, will get on it

Archived