Coopers Community

Double Ipa

Just thought I would give one crack this is the recipe .Anybodys input good or bad is welcome

500g LDME

1KG wheat ME

300G Dextrose

500G Golden Naked Oats 1hr steep

1 Can of Coppers APA

Hops

Simcoe Lupnuln2 30g 60 minutes

Galaxy 15g                 30 minutes

50G  Galaxy Flame Out

Yeast

US-05 Rehydrated

Have never used both together but love  Simcoe and galaxy  by themselves

I have done something similar with mosaic and simcoe and loved it has anybody here used Simcoe and galaxy together

Cheers Regards Brian

What is your batch volume? I'm guessing 20+ litres? If so, need lots more hops for a double IPA. I would use your Simcoe for the extra bitterness and all the Galaxy at flameout. But need like 100g at flameout and 100g dry hop at a minimum, the more the better. 

I'll be brewing 11l of Centennial DIPA on Monday, aiming for 100+ IBU, 1.075 OG and hopping with 50g at 5 mins, 75g at flameout and 75g dry hopped.

Cheers, 

John

But I reckon Simcoe and Galaxy would be an awesome late hop combination. If you can get hold of some Simcoe pellets to blend with the Galaxy it would be really tasty. Nothing wrong with Galaxy on its own at all, but I really like it in a blend (I've done with Mosaic, and with Enigma of the top of my head). 

Cheers, 

John

5 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

What is your batch volume? I'm guessing 20+ litres? If so, need lots more hops for a double IPA. I would use your Simcoe for the extra bitterness and all the Galaxy at flameout. But need like 100g at flameout and 100g dry hop at a minimum, the more the better. 

I'll be brewing 11l of Centennial DIPA on Monday, aiming for 100+ IBU, 1.075 OG and hopping with 50g at 5 mins, 75g at flameout and 75g dry hopped.

Cheers, 

John

Batch is 18l I forgot that above  thanks for the  input  the ibu 60  or more  which is in the range of a D ipa 60 -120 IBU and a Abv 7.5 ish Og 1069  I am unsure what a apa can has in IBu but a calculator  tells  me  with a little adjustment to above I will be  at 59  so that will do me or I might get more hops  cheers Brian

8 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

What IBUs are you chasing? I'd shorten the boil on the Galaxy too, it can present harshly with longer boil times.

Thanks for the input 60 IBU ish  is what the calculator tells me  !!!!!!!!galaxy for say a 3 to 5 minutes minute boil plus 10 cool would be ok do  you think !!!!!!then I would do 65g for 3mins Galaxy        20g of the simcoe Lupnul n2  5minutes    30g of the simcoe Lupnul  for 60minutes  which gives me  60 = the can and 18 L 1069   7.5 abv

Revised Brew

500g LDME

1KG wheat ME

300G Dextrose

500G Golden Naked Oats 1hr steep

1 Can of Coppers APA

Hops

50g  Simcoe Lupnul N2  60 minutes 

65G  Galaxy Flame Out

Yeast

US-05 Rehydrated

Dry Hop

50g Mosiac Lupnul n2

the Bf calculator  tell me 47 IBU's for the simcoe  plus the can Kelsy says about 33 plus say 5-7 for the galaxy at flame out

Gives me about 80 -87 IBU's

Does dry hopping add any IBU's ??I know it adds plenty of flavour

Should be tasty bitter  and strong   around 7.5 - 8 %

5 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Dry hopping adds no IBU. IBU is a measure of isomerised alpha acids, you can't get iso alpha acids unless the wort is above about 75-80 degrees.

An interesting read:

https://beerandbrewing.com/rethinking-bitterness-in-dry-hopped-hazy-beers/?utm_campaign=buffer&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_content=rethinking_bitterness

The IBU is a false pretender. Ha ha ha If it was a person you would tie them to a horse and send them out into the abyss never to return.

ive never read that particular article however have read all those points from different sources. 

Great read

Kirk

Having read the article, I'm left wondering if they have discovered anything new, apart from their "in-house spectrophotometer" being unreliable.  We already know this to be the case and that is why many breweries prefer to use a HPLC rather than the absorption method/spectrophotometer.  Even when using the HPLC a sensory panel should be the final check.

18 hours ago, PB2 said:

Having read the article, I'm left wondering if they have discovered anything new...

+1

After reading the article, I felt the same way. The experiment(s) mentioned were just about noted shifting balances in higher gravity beers when hopping at different rates with some technical gobbledigook to support it. Of course you would expect to see differences.

From my standpoint if you want to take anything from the article, it's in the second paragraph. "...dry hopping can, indeed make an impact on the perception of bitterness."

Mostly I found it was just more of Americans being Americans, & over-analysing things as usual. Some people just have too much time on their hands. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Yes, perceived bitterness doesn't necessarily mean the IBU is different. It depends on the recipe and whatever. I mean, my pilsners at 43-45 IBU don't taste as bitter as pale ales at 38-40 IBU (I've since reduced this as they were too bitter, they'd have been even worse at 43-45). Different recipes, different hops and boil addition times, different water profiles, different malt grists and mash temps. It all plays a part.

Archived