Coopers Community

15 litre fresh wort to make 2 x 20 Litre batches of mid?

Primal

Hey all

Quick question, i want to bang out a big (and cheap) batch of american hopped ale at a mid ABV for visitors, etc who don't drink the heavy stuff i do OR who are driving and want to have a few.

The local HBS does some great fresh wort kits that i have used before (They are amazing!) Question is, would using a single 15 Litre fresh wort kit (split up into 2 x 7.5 litres in each fermenter) then topped up  to 20 litres in each fermenter work out ok for a mid/low ABV beer? I realise the hop and malt profile will be watered down drastically, but has anyone ever tried it?

Cheers

The 15 litre FWK usually makes 20 litres so you are essentially diluting the FWK by half (or by 2, depending on how you look at it).

That is a fair dilution of the bitterness, hop and malt profile. Personally I think it will be too much but there is only one sure way to find out.

If you've got any beer left from a fwk made up to 20 litres and fermented, you could make up a half and half with this and carbonated water to get a sense of how it might turn out. 

Probably will be fine. My 1.080 and 1.040 og beers are still both tasty, just different. 

Cheers, 

John

3 hours ago, Hairy said:

The 15 litre FWK usually makes 20 litres so you are essentially diluting the FWK by half (or by 2, depending on how you look at it).

That is a fair dilution of the bitterness, hop and malt profile. Personally I think it will be too much but there is only one sure way to find out.

This is true, but considering how some people drink Great Northern, etc with literally no profile of any sort, it couldn't be much worse than that (for less than a $1 a tallie) Might just have to give it a crack and report back. At worst i'll have a shit tonne of easily scoffable beer water for the plebs.

Hi Primal.

Without knowing the brand of FWK & yeast you are using, or it's original gravity when diluted to it's recommended volume, it's impossible to give you an accurate dilution rate to use with the kit.

The ABV% of a beer is measured from the alcohol created between it's Original Gravity & it's Final Gravity. For lower ABV beers the Original Gravity is lower to begin with & being somewhere in the mid 1.030's is common. If you continue to dilute the FWK a litre at a time & give a good stir, then take a hydrometer reading, you will be able to reach the desired Original Gravity to make the beer a midstrength beer.

The FWK probably makes a 4.8% - 5.0% ABV beer when made to 20 litres, so diluting it further to approx. 26-27 litres should give you a starting gravity around that 1.034-1.035 mark that will have you produce a midstrength beer once fermented out.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived