Coopers Community

Leftover Hops Recipe Idea

I've got some leftover hops to use up and thought that i would ask how you guys would use them. The malt bill will consist of 3.2kg Pilsner malt for an OG of 1.040 in 17 litres, No Chill. The hops i have are...

10g Citra

60g Centennial

50g Amarillo

50g Mosaic

The hop schedule i came up with looks like this for an IBU rating of around 35

10g Citra @ FWH 60 min

20g Centennial @ Flameout 20 min steep

30g Mosaic Cube hops

50 g Amarillo Dry hop

What do y'all think? What would you do with those hops? Let me know

Cheers!

Well that was easy, Cheers fellas! Im planning to brew it either Thursday or Friday with my sister. She has helped me do a couple of kit beers back in the day, but never an all grain brew. She is interested in the process so i thought, why not invite her over

You know what Lusty, i thought about doing that first but i just finished a batch that was bittered with Centennial and although it was fantastic, i wanted to try something else. I have only used Citra as a FWH addition once and it was on my first ever AG BIAB brew, a Citra SMaSH. From memory it was quite nice. Thanks for your opinion though

Cheers!

I'm just overly cautious around using very low co-humulone hops for bittering. You're only using a very small addition & FWH'ing it as well. The clean pilsner malt bill & midstrength OG will emphasize bitterness more than a sweeter, heavier malted bill would so that works in your favour here. Given you no-chill, the flameout Centennial addition should add some bitterness too.

Nice hops used. ?

Best of luck with the brew.

Lusty.

21 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I thought low co-humulone hops were the best ones to use for bittering? I've used Citra for bittering/FWH before with good effect, although the malt bill was different.

Note I said "very low". If you don't aim for a decent IBU, you can end up with a notably sweet beer that lacks bitterness "bite" (for a better word). It's a case of a beer being bittered to 35 IBU tasting like a beer that was bittered to 25 IBU when you use a very low co-humulone hop as your main bittering hop. Not always a bad thing, but something to be aware of.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Fair enough. I think water chemistry plays a part in it as well. If you use water that contains more sulphate than chloride, it will accentuate hops and even if you are using a very low co-humulone hop you may still get a decent hop bitterness presenting in the final beer. If the chloride is higher, or even equal, then it will likely end up too sweet. I've actually been reducing the amount of sulphate I use in my water for pale ales recently as I found when it was 1.5-2 times or more higher than the chloride, the hops were a bit harsh. This last batch that's going into the FV after the red ale is kegged was done with practically equal amounts, but who knows what the tap water is exactly. Maybe I'll just use distilled water for everything so I can dial in an exact water profile instead of guessing from the 3 year old town water analysis, since the buggers won't update it. ?

We're looking at buying a house late this year/early next year, so I can at least set up a brewing area in the garage or somewhere there. Might make it easier to make distilled water without taking up kitchen bench space. ?

Cheers

Kelsey

My mantra is to aim for more IBUs than I think I'll need. My wife usually says my beers are too bitter, but I think they're getting to be just right. Nothing worse than an under-bittered beer! I'd rather dial it back on a re-brew than the other way around. 

Cheers, 

John

Archived