Coopers Community

Reusing yeast - the starter method

OK, so I salvaged about 2L slurry, into 2 x 740ml PET bottles from my last brew.

Refrigerated both bottles for about 5 days.

From one bottle, I poured off the beer on top.

Made a 2L starter and pitched the yeast cake into it.

On the stir plate, krausen started to appear in about 1.5 hours and had a heavy collapsed krausen by morning. The slurry had gone from a dark brown to a cream colour.

Poured the slurry into 2 x 500ml jars and the remainder into a 1.2L jar.

One small jar and the large jar into the fridge.

The other small jar I put back onto the stir plate to keep it in suspension, as I intend to put a brew down this afternoon.

My intention was to use the 500ml in my ale brew this arvo.

I'd appreciate any feed back on my procedure and intentions.

I would have kept the two small jars in the fridge and used the large jar to pitch into your brew. The usual way the process is done is essentially what you've done, except pouring some of the slurry into one jar that gets stored in the fridge and the remainder left in the flask goes into the main batch. Whether you pitch that whole volume or stick the flask in the fridge to drop out all the yeast in order to pour most of the beer off it first is up to you, both methods work well.

Thanks for your advice again Kelsey. I have just put the other smaller jar in the fridge as well and will brew tomorrow.

I had to jar the yeast as the 5L flask is too ruddy high to fit in the fridge, I don't want to upset SWWBO as she's been pretty tolerant about my brewing, unfortunately she can't drink beer as she is a Coeliac.

Just now looking at the jars in the fridge, they have settled quite quickly. The smaller one would have around 3-400ml of settled material and the larger 800ml.

Would you consider 800ml an over pitch, considering that I've used a starter? If I were to use that what is the best way to use the 2x400ml batches? Combine them in a future batch?

If I don't use them for a couple of weeks, would another starter be recommended? If so, would that starter be different to the one I've just used? I recollect you talking about a stepped starter.

I also have the other half of the salvage (740ml bottle) in the fridge as well.

Cheers

I'm thinking we have some crossed processes here. Currently two process that can be used is, 1: salvage a large amount of slurry from 1 brew and pitch directly into the next brew, no starter required as you will have plenty viable yeast cells. 2: Salvage a small amount of slurry and boost the viable cell count by making a starter. From the starter you save 500ml for the next starter and pitch the rest. What you have done is probably made a starter with a quantity of yeast that actually didn't need one and now you have a starter that is to large to pitch.

Thanks Captain, I will certainly look into clariferm, my wife certainly enjoys the odd beer. Seems strange that simply using clariferm can produce beer with less than 20ppm gluten, where Googling "Gluten Free Beer" comes up with all sorts of alternative grains to use. If you try gluten free bread you will know what I mean, it's closely related to a hockey puck!

You're right Titan, I got carried away with the new stir plate, I was hoping that, within limits, more health yeast is better?

You're right again Kelsey as the hours have ticked by, since repotting the slurry, it certainly has compacted. There would now be around a cup of yeast slurry in the bottom of the smaller jars.

4 minutes ago, Olemate said:

Thanks Captain, I will certainly look into clariferm, my wife certainly enjoys the odd beer. Seems strange that simply using clariferm can produce beer with less than 20ppm gluten, where Googling "Gluten Free Beer" comes up with all sorts of alternative grains to use. If you try gluten free bread you will know what I mean, it's closely related to a hockey puck!

Ha ha ha ha yeah they certainly do. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just done a harvest on a starter of 1056 I've had going since Monday night. Stirrer was turned off Tuesday night and just left to sit until earlier today. Got approx. 140 billion cells into the jar with the rest in the flask, somewhere around 250bn I think. It's a bit over the required amount for the batch it's going into but I figure that's better than being under.

Next up is some Wy2278 for a Bohemian Pilsner next on the to brew list. I'll try to keep better records of them this time around so I actually know what I'm starting with and how many generations each one is up to ?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Probably ages. I usually reuse each one once every couple of months or so as that's the way my brewing schedule is. It would last at least 6 months, probably longer.

I've still got a small jar of Budvar yeast that I was using for the stain testing. I should take a sample and test it, it's been sitting in there about a year or more.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

Nice work. I am not brewing too much these days and wasn’t sure if it was worth playing around with liquid yeast

I think it’s worth the extra little bit of effort for liquid given the choice of strains out there compared to dry. I have also noticed my beers are of better quality. Plus it’s cheap to reuse using this method

• Like 1

Definately worth it for the choice of strains baron. If you venture into the belgian strains then there are massive amounts of choices. A dry yeast can make just as good a beer as liquid yeast from my point of view. Tried a couple of liquid english strains and went back to S04. The one thing i do do is make a starter from the dry packet and keep it in liquid form "kelsey method" for further resuse.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So Ive been actively doing this method with great success over the last 8 or so brews. 

This time is a Saison yeast and by hell is it a beast. I’ve changed nothing to my process from the other standard ale yeasts and now I have nearly double the amount of yeast in the storage jar and it hasn’t all settled yet. 

The pack was quite old too. 

DD992C2E-3BC5-4FB0-BD03-175621211397.jpeg

• Like 2

Ahhh.. love a saison. Bottled my belle saison part of the split batch the other day. 1002 FG and awesome tasting. The dupont half shit itself at 1030 so pitched some belle saison too as a secondary yeast because i dont wanna wait a month. Its at 1006 as of today but still active. And tastes totally different to the total belle saison half. Summer has arrived..

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

So I had a go at boiling some water in my 5L flask on the stove earlier and wasn't entirely convinced about it. The element or whatever it is under the glass top kept going on and off the whole time. Maybe that's how they work I dunno. 

Anyway,  I am used to using gas and much prefer it anyway, so this solution will be what I do from now on. Side burner on the barbie to the rescue!

20181219_151206.thumb.jpg.86a8a6fcdd80e0c6573b622f6472f147.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

So I had a go at boiling some water in my 5L flask on the stove earlier and wasn't entirely convinced about it. The element or whatever it is under the glass top kept going on and off the whole time. Maybe that's how they work I dunno. 

Anyway,  I am used to using gas and much prefer it anyway, so this solution will be what I do from now on. Side burner on the barbie to the rescue!

If its one of those Glasstop stove tops yeah I think that's what they do where they go on and off once the heat is up. You will definitely miss cooking with gas!

33 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

If it is an induction cooktop, it won't work with pyrex - need metal base on pots/pans

37 minutes ago, Dozer71 said:

If it is an induction cooktop, it won't work with pyrex - need metal base on pots/pans

That's what I'm unsure about.  It still heated it up and probably would have boiled it if I'd left it long enough.  Either way the bbq burner works well.

1 hour ago, Fergy1987 said:

If its one of those Glasstop stove tops yeah I think that's what they do where they go on and off once the heat is up. You will definitely miss cooking with gas!

Already do haha. Never liked electric stoves. The olds had one when I was a kid and changed to gas about 20 years ago.  It was way better.